Did you mean: 

Amex, one last reconsideration attempt

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex, one last reconsideration attempt

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

hank you for your recent application for Zync SM from American Express.  After reviewing your request, regrettably, we are unable to open an account for you at this time for the following reason(s):

Your American Express Acquisition Risk Score is too high  (See below)

Your application was processed using our American Express Proprietary Acquisition Risk Scoring System which assigns a numerical value to the various items of information we consider in evaluating an application.  Your application's total score exceeded our threshold for approval at this time.  Listed below are the reasons that you did not score well compared with other applicants.  (For reasons based on information in a credit report, the name of the consumer reporting agency is identified.)

Length of time accounts have been established (Experian) 

In our estimation, the amount you have paid on your bank and retail credit card accounts over the last twelve months is too low. (Experian) 

Too many recent credit checks (Experian) 

High utilization of credit lines or insufficient utilization information (Experian) 

Our credit decision was based in whole or in part on information obtained in a report from the consumer reporting agency(ies) listed in this letter.  Please understand that the reporting agency(ies) played no part in our decision and cannot supply you with specific reasons why we denied credit to you. You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to obtain a free copy of your report from the reporting agency, if you request it no later than 60 days after you receive this notice.  If you find that any information contained in the report you receive is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute the matter with the reporting agency.

An important notice concerning your rights is included.  The creditor is American Express Centurion Bank.

Applicants who were not approved for a new account at one time may qualify in the future. You are welcome to apply for any of our cards, but please wait at least 30 days before submitting a new application.

Thank you for your interest in our service.

Sincerely,

Tammy Weinbaum

Vice President and General Manager

Is a recon letter even worth it here?

Uh...yeah!  

Is there any better time to send a recon letter?

I think that the whole point here is to get a human being to make the decision, not an algorithm. Give someone at Amex the chance to play hero without risk.  Allow that cubicle worker an opportunity to have future bragging rights about being the guy that originally brought this valuable customer into the fold by taking a chance on him when the algorithm wouldn't.  And a Zync account with a $500 CL (even if it goes bad) isn't much of a risk to anybody...why wouldn't they take a chance on you?

What have you got to lose...the price of a stamp?

I'd send the letter.

OP- Not trying to be a wet blanket and Yes there is the power of having nothing to lose and this is the great thing about recon.

So if you want to run out every base hit, understandable.  At some point though (and I think this is definitely the point) holding out hope only prolongs the inevitable Smiley Sad and to that extent is not necessarily a good thing IMHO.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 31 of 34
smc733
Valued Contributor

Alright well thank you guys. I agree Ub Up, someone who does a manual review of my app should see I'm a low risk with a low limited charge card. I won't hold my breath, but I'd be happy to see it work out. But here's the question, what is the address I should mail it to?
BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 32 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Executive Office (1-800-297-6197) really helps out , also you want to fax the reconsideration letter and any supporting documentation  ; send it to the attention: Media Team, refer to your application #  to (801)945-2884 ;

Response was almost immediate; my application went from declined to pending in 1 hour after faxing , then to Approved 6 hours after that.

Talking to real person and supporting documentation really does complete the story in helping AMEX persoanlly evaluating your application rather than a computer and score.

Message 33 of 34
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Executive Office (1-800-297-6197) really helps out , also you want to fax the reconsideration letter and any supporting documentation  ; send it to the attention: Media Team, refer to your application #  to (801)945-2884 ;

Response was almost immediate; my application went from declined to pending in 1 hour after faxing , then to Approved 6 hours after that.

Talking to real person and supporting documentation really does complete the story in helping AMEX persoanlly evaluating your application rather than a computer and score.

This thread is several years old.  IIRC he eventually got the card.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.