Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex or chase??

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex or chase??

Use the one which has better rewards, but if it's the same, I'd use Chase.

Message 11 of 14
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

eBay -> Paypal -> any CC

You get eBay Buyer Protection, Paypal Purchase Protection and your CC liability policy.  eBay's Buyer Protection has never let me down, nor has Paypal when the protection wasn't available via eBay.

+2 here

Message 12 of 14
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

@Smiley HappyJaeJae12 wrote:
So I'm probably going to buy something from eBay for the first time ever, is it better to use my Amex or chase incase I get duped like the stories I seen/read. Will Amex provide me better security?

When it comes to cards security, AMEX is no doubt the best. but considering that Ebay has payer protection, it doesn't make a difference whcich card. I'd say pick the card that give you the most rewards back

I know this is an oft repeated statement but I disagree. Maybe for certain large purchases Amex has an advantage but I broke my Google Nexus that I purchased with my CSP and the service I recieved was awesome. I wasn't even sure buyer protection would cover something like dropping my phone and breaking it but I called them up and they said it was covered. I emailed the documents they requested and my claim was approved, about two weeks later Chase sent me a check for the complete cost of repairs. Awesome service and everything was done over the phone and email. I know AMex has this mythical aura around it by some on this board but other cards also have great buyer protection. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 13 of 14
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@efranklin23 wrote:

@Smiley HappyJaeJae12 wrote:
So I'm probably going to buy something from eBay for the first time ever, is it better to use my Amex or chase incase I get duped like the stories I seen/read. Will Amex provide me better security?

When it comes to cards security, AMEX is no doubt the best. but considering that Ebay has payer protection, it doesn't make a difference whcich card. I'd say pick the card that give you the most rewards back

I know this is an oft repeated statement but I disagree. Maybe for certain large purchases Amex has an advantage but I broke my Google Nexus that I purchased with my CSP and the service I recieved was awesome. I wasn't even sure buyer protection would cover something like dropping my phone and breaking it but I called them up and they said it was covered. I emailed the documents they requested and my claim was approved, about two weeks later Chase sent me a check for the complete cost of repairs. Awesome service and everything was done over the phone and email. I know AMex has this mythical aura around it by some on this board but other cards also have great buyer protection. 

It's not surprising considering that CSP has a different type of service. Try doing it with a Chase Freedom Card (unless you're lucky to get an Visa Sig) and you'll see the difference. AMEX does it for all of their cards (made through Centurion Bank). Discover also provides this service as well and it's quite well and very quick to response as welll. one thing I love I love about the CSP is the fact it has no Forex fees. The one problem I have with it (as I do with most American cards) is that they don't have the Chip & Pin which is a nightmare if you're trying to pump gas without an attendant in a town around France for example.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.