Amex plat retention offer

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Amex plat retention offer

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

i just got a $200 statement credit.

ETA: Ran about $5500 through it in my first account year. 

I got the same offer or 25k points. Do you think that makes it worth keeping the card? Similar to the OP, I have not been able to use much of the perks. Just don't fit with my profile it seems after trying for one year.

EDIT: with the potential for AMEX for compete with Reserve by modifying the Platinum, maybe it will be worth hanging onto?

To me, it's a $450 fee, $200 credit as retention, $200 in airline gift cards. $50 fee left, and that is one centurion lounge visit.

Message 11 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

i just got a $200 statement credit.

ETA: Ran about $5500 through it in my first account year. 

I got the same offer or 25k points. Do you think that makes it worth keeping the card? Similar to the OP, I have not been able to use much of the perks. Just don't fit with my profile it seems after trying for one year.

EDIT: with the potential for AMEX for compete with Reserve by modifying the Platinum, maybe it will be worth hanging onto?

To me, it's a $450 fee, $200 credit as retention, $200 in airline gift cards. $50 fee left, and that is one centurion lounge visit.

Did you explicitly tell them to close it before they countered with the retention offer? Or you just made a noncommittal general inquiry as to whether you could get a retention offer?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Called up, asked for retention offers. Said something along the lines of "Yeah, my fee just posted, and I'm noticing a lot of overlap in my credit card benefits, so i'm hoping to get an offer otherwise i'll have to close my account."

They transferred me, dude offered me $200 on the spot. None of that "let me explain the benefits to you" bull that some companies do.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.