cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex platinum/Pay annual fee with MR points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex platinum/Pay annual fee with MR points?

Anyone know how many MR points it would take to pay a $450 annual fee?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Amex platinum/Pay annual fee with MR points?

I'm not sure how many points it would take, but you can't directly pay your annual fee with points it's not eligible ( pay charges with points option it's not eligible).

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blondy250 wrote:

I'm not sure how many points it would take, but you can't directly pay your annual fee with points it's not eligible ( pay charges with points option it's not eligible).

Paying charges with points is an option in how to use your points.  Not the best way to use them, but it is an option.  It takes 75,000 points to cover a $450 charge.

Message 3 of 10
blondy250
Established Contributor

Except annual fees are not eligible, the categories that are eligible are very specific and somewhat limited . The annual fee is NOT eligible , i just double checked it is not.

The following categories are (Directly from Amex site) Dining & Drinks, Entertainment and Events,  and finally shopping gear and gadgets.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annual Membership Fees can be paid using points. It's late fees, foreign transaction fees, returned payment fees etc. that cannot be paid with points. Hope this clarifies.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ That clears that. Is it true that it takes 75,000 points though?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes hence why we will discourage a redemption when being applied toward the fee and suggest it be used toward airfare, gift cards or point transfers - but if they want to proceed, it's 75,000MR points in exchange for the $450 annual membership fee.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! The reason im asking is because I was thinking that if I could get the 100k offer to show up for me again and get approved. I could pay the annual fee with MR points,still have 25k in points and still recieve $200 airline credit for 2016,2017. Then I can keep the card for a year and decide if the $450 is worth paying after that. I've got an offer to upgrade to the platinum card but the offer doesnt come with any incentives. I rather just apply for a new card. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone! The reason im asking is because I was thinking that if I could get the 100k offer to show up for me again and get approved. I could pay the annual fee with MR points,still have 25k in points and still recieve $200 airline credit for 2016,2017. Then I can keep the card for a year and decide if the $450 is worth paying after that. I've got an offer to upgrade to the platinum card but the offer doesnt come with any incentives. I rather just apply for a new card. 

I understand your logic but I have to be blunt and tell you that is a horrible idea.  The Platinum is a travel card and Amex MR points are best used when you transfer them to airline or hotel partners.  It's very easy to get a $.02 cent redemption which makes the points worth $2K and they can be redeemed for even much higher value if you use them for business or first class, especially on international flights.  I would strongly encourage you to reconsider this idea if you do find the 100K offer as you would cost yourself thousands of dollars.  

Message 9 of 10
redpat
Senior Contributor

If you have to think about the cost of this card and feel it's too expensive to use you MR points to pay for it, this card might not be for you.  Remember use you airline credits to lessen the cost not your points.  If you do get now your net cost is $50 the first year and you would still have usage of 100k mr points.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.