Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex platinum - minor buzz kill

tag
Makersmark23
New Contributor

Amex platinum - minor buzz kill

So I decided to upgrade my PRG to platinum, so I called to fish for an upgrade offer.  The CSmperson said "yes! 40k points for 3k spend but no annual fee waived.  I said okay and was approved.

come to find out I wasn't upgrading my Prg, I started a new account.  I don't know if I should feel good about this or not?

i do know I have a Prg to cancel now though, and the unexpected new account maybe brought down my excitement a bit.

thoughts?

[img]http://s26.postimage.org/vht4qanid/Sallie_Mae_WMC.jpg[/img]
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex platinum - minor buzz kill

@Makersmark23 wrote:

So I decided to upgrade my PRG to platinum, so I called to fish for an upgrade offer.  The CSmperson said "yes! 40k points for 3k spend but no annual fee waived.  I said okay and was approved.

come to find out I wasn't upgrading my Prg, I started a new account.  I don't know if I should feel good about this or not?

i do know I have a Prg to cancel now though, and the unexpected new account maybe brought down my excitement a bit.

thoughts?

You should be happy.  No offense but it would be foolish to PC to the Platinum.  You wouldn't get any 40K MR points bonus.  Not sure why you're disappointed

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that would be frustrating to think you were getting a pc and keeping the account age and no hp AND getting a sign on bonus so the csr should have been clearer but I don't think I've ever heard of a pc qualifying for any kind of bonus so not really a surprise unfortunately
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I take it your PRG card is old?  Why not take this one for a spin & see if you like the #'s?  Could be a good second card.  I was thinking about this one.   Keep us informed.  And congrats on the Platinum!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes that would be frustrating to think you were getting a pc and keeping the account age and no hp AND getting a sign on bonus so the csr should have been clearer but I don't think I've ever heard of a pc qualifying for any kind of bonus so not really a surprise unfortunately

The accounts age isn't going anywhere.  It will stay on his reports for 10 years.  What he ended up with was a far better deal.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I mean the impact of having a new account instead of just a new product with the old account age since he doesn't really want the prg anymore
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I mean the impact of having a new account instead of just a new product with the old account age since he doesn't really want the prg anymore

Well the account will impact his score a bit but if they PCed his PRG to the Platinum, he would get no bonus whatsoever

Message 7 of 12
Makersmark23
New Contributor

Maybe I just needed to validate with others that this was a good thing lol

super excited for the plat benefits with the travel me and my wife will be doin

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Makersmark23 wrote:

Maybe I just needed to validate with others that this was a good thing lol

super excited for the plat benefits with the travel me and my wife will be doin

They do have some great benefits if you use them.  Make sure you go thru the list because there are several that you have sign up for.

Message 9 of 12
Makersmark23
New Contributor

It was between the plat and ritz and in the end, I just don't stay at ritz ever. I just wanted a metal card.

I do however fly a few times a year and book other hotels.

The AF is slightly intimidating but I'll give it a whirl and make an effort to max the benefits.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.