Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex platinum not so impressive anymore

tag
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

Amex platinum not so impressive anymore

I'm a gm at a hotel in ny and occasionally have to help front desk with check ins when short staffed. It's funny after using this forum, when I do help all I do is check out what cc they're using. Used to be I saw a Amex platinum and it impressed me, now I think, they spend $450 annual fee on this. Today I helped out and saw world mc's, visa sigs, cap1 venture and a platinum, and was least impressed with plat. Funny how your views change when you really learn about this stuff. But not gonna lie, for some crazy reason I still kind of want one.
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Re: Amex platinum not so impressive anymore

I used to do the same thing by looking at everyone's card.  This was many years ago though.  It's  all human nature, but we tend to look at the person checking in, and wonder what kind of card they would pay with.  Like you, i used to see very few Amex platinum, and thought, wow. I was still in that line of work when the Gold and Platinum craze came into the world, but left that line of work long before Signature and World cards came of age. It is exciting though, seeing so many card types, and wondering if i have that one, or if i'll ever be able to get that one.  I certainly saw my share of cards checking in/out hundreds of guests daily. 

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 2 of 27
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Yep, I also work in a hotel and the Amex Platinum is a dime a dozen, and not that hard to get. I only have a year of credit history and don't make that much money, and I am confident that I could get approved for it if I wanted to fork over the annual fee (I don't). So yeah, I don't even blink when I see one.
TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 3 of 27
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think it is okay. The rewards are lame, but the benefits are decent. $200 airline credit and lounge access. Plus mine came with a 100k sign up bonus Smiley Happy

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 27
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

To me it's about how a card fits my needs. I would think I have a good shot at getting the Platinum, CSP, etc. but I don't travel enough to justify the AF. I used to be impressed by these cards but now I realize that most people who use them have a need for them. When used correctly the benefits outweigh the AF. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Message 5 of 27
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

The Platinum is not designed for the sheer points seeker. Its benefits elsewhere in terms of perks for travel. If you use the card for what it can really offer, it more than pays for the AF. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 6 of 27
VinnyofLegend
Contributor

I still can't see myself wanting one...

If I did travel all the time, the $200 credit wouldn't really cover the baggage fees for more than 4 trips (fewer if traveling with another person)...and lounge access? Maybe if you planned in your trip poorly such that you had to wait a decent period between flights and were in airports with participating lounges in your terminal (otherwise you'd have to plan time between your lounge and your departing terminal)...

I think the Delta Amex is a better value (assuming you're flying Delta or Delta partners most of the time), it pays for itself very quickly in baggage fees (even more so if someone is going with you). And heck you don't even have to buy your ticket with that particular card.

The only Amex card that "impresses" me is an Amex Corporate card Smiley Tongue since it means someone else is footing the bill.

Message 7 of 27
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I agree VinnyofLegend.

However, the demographic of the Platinum's target audience looks for more than just maximized point value. While I personally do not find the Plat desirable for my lifestyle, I can see how it would be desirable for someone who fits the description.

In this scenario, you make really good money and prolly travel a lot, a $400+ dollar fee is nothing. Plus, the personal value to you of perks go beyond mere monetary calculations. Youy enjoy the access to lounges, you value the unique travel protections, credits and status of the card. In this scenario, you couldn't care less if you earned a few more points with a different card....or you own another card and gladly pay that fee as well. 

I liken it to what kind of car you drive or what kind of place you live in and what you're willing to spend. You'll pay more for certain things that go beyond a dollar value while someone else won't....or vice versa. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 8 of 27
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@VinnyofLegend wrote:

If I did travel all the time, the $200 credit wouldn't really cover the baggage fees for more than 4 trips (fewer if traveling with another person)...and lounge access? Maybe if you planned in your trip poorly such that you had to wait a decent period between flights and were in airports with participating lounges in your terminal (otherwise you'd have to plan time between your lounge and your departing terminal)...

I think the Delta Amex is a better value (assuming you're flying Delta or Delta partners most of the time), it pays for itself very quickly in baggage fees (even more so if someone is going with you). And heck you don't even have to buy your ticket with that particular card.

The only Amex card that "impresses" me is an Amex Corporate card Smiley Tongue since it means someone else is footing the bill.

I agree to an extent, but the best Delta card is the Reserve (personal or business). Earn 15K MQM with $30K spend and another 15K MQM with $60K spend per calendar year. I easily spend $60K a year on the card so I keep up or gain on Medallion levels just by spending. First bag free and lounge access for cardholder plus one (or two, can't remember). First class companion pass at renewal is nice as well. 

You don't have to purchase your ticket with the Delta card to get free bag but you should as you earn double miles for the ticket price. 

Still keeping my Platinum for the single reason of being able to spend big when needed and not take a UTL hit if I don't PIF before it posts or worry about a credit limit. SPG Gold is kinds nice just for holding the card. Same with some of the rental car company perks. I use my $200 airline credit for in flight drinks in the off chance I am not upgraded Smiley Wink

World MC and Visa Signature card holders almost never use any of the perks they can get. I bet if you asked a regular person about those card perks they would stare at you a bit confused. Try it sometime. Bet they tell you "it's a Signature card because I have a high limit". Whatever...

Message 9 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@VinnyofLegend wrote:

If you travel internationally you don't always have the luxury of having 1 hour layovers, nor should you be foolish enough to take it even if the option presents itself to you. One missed connection and you're essentially stuck in a foreign country, usually for at least a day.

During layovers that are several hours long, lounge access is a huge plus. I love being able to escape the plebs and chaos of the terminal, so for me lounge access is essential. In many ways I find it similar to broadband vs dialup. Once you've switched, you'll find it near impossible to switch back (or do without).

SPG gold gives you free internet, which can run $15-20 per night at many Starwood hotels. If you travel for even a week or two per year, it may save you a couple hundred dollars. Also Amex FHR will give additional benefits such as hotel credits, free breakfast, etc.

The Amex platinum is a great value if you fit its target clientele and can use its benefits. If you don't, then you're better off looking elsewhere.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.