Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex platinum not so impressive anymore

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex platinum not so impressive anymore

I don't know about anyone else, but my credit union Visa has rewards to get cool stuff (trips, airline miles, stuff) and the interest rate is super low at 8.25% - well, relatively low compared to store cards, and since I have a 2005 BK I'm ineligible for any of the really cool cards. I'm happy with my Platinum Visa from the credit union and advise others to look into these not-mentioned-often credit cards.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 21 of 27
Alcibiades
Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

The Platinum is not designed for the sheer points seeker. Its benefits elsewhere in terms of perks for travel. If you use the card for what it can really offer, it more than pays for the AF. 

More than pays for the annual fee?  I don't think that math adds up.

Annual fee: $450

For that you get

$200 in airline fee credits (I have used this this year to for a change fee and for a "miles booster" with Delta)

Delta, American and US Air lounge access (generally costs about $450 annually)

Priority Pass Select (probably worth $50 or so)

Global entry fee reimbursement (this is $100, but it is a one time expense, so you may not count this as an ongoing benefit)

Starwood Gold status (some undetermined monetary value)

Other platinum perks (Fine Hotels and Resorts, etc)

If you travel frequently, the card does pay for itself through the fee credits and the lounge access. It's a comparable card to Chase's United Cub card, which also costs $400

Message 22 of 27
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@Alcibiades wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

The Platinum is not designed for the sheer points seeker. Its benefits elsewhere in terms of perks for travel. If you use the card for what it can really offer, it more than pays for the AF. 

For that you get

$200 in airline fee credits (I have used this this year to for a change fee and for a "miles booster" with Delta)

Global entry fee reimbursement (this is $100, but it is a one time expense, so you may not count this as an ongoing benefit)

If you travel frequently, the card does pay for itself through the fee credits and the lounge access. It's a comparable card to Chase's United Cub card, which also costs $400

Exactly right, it all depends what you use it for. I believe one can always discuss every card and it perks. I have the Platinum since January and it already has paid back the AF ... not counting the sign up bonus and the bonus for adding pay over time ...

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 23 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

If you're not the target audience of the card, it won't add up for you. However it will add up and then some for others.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 24 of 27
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Alcibiades wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

For that you get

Pretty sure priority pass would be more than $50. It includes Alaska lounge access, and Alaska charges $50 per visit if you aren't a member.

I set Alaska as my $200 reimbursement. To put it simply, they didn't just reimburse incidentals. They covered anything that had anything to do with Alaska.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 25 of 27
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Alcibiades wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

For that you get

Pretty sure priority pass would be more than $50. It includes Alaska lounge access, and Alaska charges $50 per visit if you aren't a member.

I set Alaska as my $200 reimbursement. To put it simply, they didn't just reimburse incidentals. They covered anything that had anything to do with Alaska.

+1. I think the standard priority pass (lowest level) is $100 plus $27 per entry, so it'd be well over $50.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 26 of 27
enharu
Super Contributor

If I am not wrong, the Amex Platinum cards gets you free upgrades at Venetian / Palazzo hotels worldwide.

Assuming you're a frequent patron of those hotels (applies to Macau location too I think), and that you often stay at those upgraded suites, the AF will pay for itself after a few nights of stay at those hotels.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.