Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex potential CLI increase letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex potential CLI increase letter

I got a letter from Amex Plat Delta that states to call them for a potential CLI...I had the card since April 2015 with a toy credit limit of 1k. I recently got a CLI on my Amex Hilton card in April also from 5k to 15k. I use and pay in full every month. Score are high 600 and low 700 across the board...have anyone seen this letter before?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex potential CLI increase letter

No but I'm not surprised; 1k for plat? That has an annual fee of 195? They should have auto increased it imho

Some lenders will send letters or emails because they are willing to increase ur limit without a hq but instead of auto wants you to agree to it first..

They also have a deadline for it so if you miss it it's gone

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

30 days deadline... I almost die laughing at the toy limit... 1k really, with limits in the 20's...
Message 3 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's like a slap in the face when you're rolling with 20k limits lol. But yea I would hit them up and see what they got.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I received the letter Saturday , but the UW dept is closed on the weekend. So first thing this morning I make the call, (over the weekend I proceed to pay in full all 4 of my Amex accounts to zero), CSR info me of the cli that is being offered to me. I then proceed to answer question about income , investments, ect....income 125k, investment and assets 500k...
BAM!!!!! I get an amazing increase of 300.00 dollars, I immediately starting laughing on the phone , thanked the CSR and hung up....
Hopefully with 3x I can grow this card, don't get me wrong , an auto increase is a present any day.
Message 5 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I received the letter Saturday , but the UW dept is closed on the weekend. So first thing this morning I make the call, (over the weekend I proceed to pay in full all 4 of my Amex accounts to zero), CSR info me of the cli that is being offered to me. I then proceed to answer question about income , investments, ect....income 125k, investment and assets 500k...
BAM!!!!! I get an amazing increase of 300.00 dollars, I immediately starting laughing on the phone , thanked the CSR and hung up....
Hopefully with 3x I can grow this card, don't get me wrong , an auto increase is a present any day.

Congrats. But after the 300 increase. I would have canceled on the spot that's me. 

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm been giving this card a lot of use, PIF twice a month. Its a joke to be honest....once my 6 month come up, I'm going for 10x increase, not the 3x everyone trying for. Then I'll make my mind up where to put this card...wallet or SD...
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm been giving this card a lot of use, PIF twice a month. Its a joke to be honest....once my 6 month come up, I'm going for 10x increase, not the 3x everyone trying for. Then I'll make my mind up where to put this card...wallet or SD...

A $300 CLI, Amex needs to get with the programs.  That is a sucky increase -excuse my languageSmiley Tongue...  Hang in thereSmiley Happy..

Message 8 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No matter what you want to go for.  Amex system will only let you do3 x increase. It auto rejects any numbers more than 3 times. And many times counters with even less. So it's not your choice. It's theirs. 

Message 9 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

At $1K the limit on my BCP is the lowest of all my cards.  Sometimes it seems a bit funny, but I just keep reminding myself that (in my case) there's past history holding me back (15 years ago), and I'm fortunate to have the card to begin with.  That does get old, though... especially when other lenders are so much more generous.  My spending is very modest by most standards ($1500-$2000/month) but I almost always PIF, and with my other cards I don't even have to think about getting near the credit limit, which is nice.

I know nothing I do really matters to a company that size, but it's ironic that they would get much (MUCH) more usage out of me (and probably you, too) if we had just a little more available credit, in my case just $2K-$3K.  As it is, the joke's on them, because Discover and Capital One are getting the majority of my swipes now, with the BCP relegated to my Kroger purchases only, each of which cost them 6% in cash rewards. (Note: my two CLI requests have both been denied.  The first due to the past history (15 years ago), the second I haven't gotten the letter yet, but at least this time I saw a SP where they manually checked my EX, so maybe I'm getting a bit closer... LOL)

All this being said, it's a bit of a 'slap in the face' to have them go through all the drama of sending you a letter, having you call them and verify details, etc. just to be "rewarded" with a $300 CLI.  While I personally wouldn't have closed the account, I think I would have been tempted to ask the CSR if he/she was sure Amex could afford that $300... I wouldn't want them to feel they were overextended with me. Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.