Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex pre-screened online offers

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Amex pre-screened online offers

For the first time in my short credit journey I got pre-screened online offers from Amex website.

I wanted cash back but they offer:

• PRG 50K points must buy $1,000 in 3 months AF 175 waived first year
  • EDP 25K points must buy $2,000 in 3 months AF 95
  • Platinum 100K points must buy $3,000 in 3 months AF 450

I don't have SSN only ITIN, so I think I can't apply online only by phone. At this moment I don't have INQ in the last 6 months (only 2 on Experian from 7 months ago). My TU FICO from Discover is 731 (don't know Experian FICO), only 2 cards reported, both with $1,000 limit (just got a CLI from Discover to $2,500 2 weeks ago).

Why they offer this instead some card with cash back?

If I apply by phone then these offers are not valid?

Should I go with PRG and in January apply for BCE? (I don't travel much)

Do this offers change with time (say in 2 weeks or a month)?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex pre-screened online offers

Just because they didn't offer it on the pre-screen doesn't mean you wouldn't get it. Just apply for what card you want and would work for you. If you want cash back then apply for a cash back card! Good luck!

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed Smiley Happy Good luck to you!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the 100k! I just did. Its a no brainer. You are getting over $1000 in points value. Plus free boingo internet. Plus $200 a year for traveling. I say go with the 100k offer...it is one of the hardest offers to get. 

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/06/should-you-get-amex-platinum-for-its-100000-point-bonus/

Message 4 of 15
newhis
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your comments.

Is hard for me right now to go with a card with $450 AF, then transfer the points to travel, save some money on that but use more for the travel. Maybe in the future but not right now.

I think I'll wait for my Discover to report the new limit before apping, maybe next month.

Message 5 of 15
taxi818
Super Contributor

@newhis wrote:

Thank you all for your comments.

Is hard for me right now to go with a card with $450 AF, then transfer the points to travel, save some money on that but use more for the travel. Maybe in the future but not right now.

I think I'll wait for my Discover to report the new limit before apping, maybe next month.

I totally agree with you op. I just got the Delta skymiles two days ago. 95AF.

However. when i look at charger it will not let me apply as i don't have new card yet to log in. thats ok.

However i say where i can upgrade from Delta gold. to Delta Reserve something. 450 AF Yikes!!!!!!

no way can i justify that. even if i flew every week. which i don't maybe 3-5 times a year.

So now way.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!.....Thanks for sharing...Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

For the first time in my short credit journey I got pre-screened online offers from Amex website.

I wanted cash back but they offer:

• PRG 50K points must buy $1,000 in 3 months AF 175 waived first year
  • EDP 25K points must buy $2,000 in 3 months AF 95
  • Platinum 100K points must buy $3,000 in 3 months AF 450

I don't have SSN only ITIN, so I think I can't apply online only by phone. At this moment I don't have INQ in the last 6 months (only 2 on Experian from 7 months ago). My TU FICO from Discover is 731 (don't know Experian FICO), only 2 cards reported, both with $1,000 limit (just got a CLI from Discover to $2,500 2 weeks ago).

Why they offer this instead some card with cash back?

If I apply by phone then these offers are not valid?

Should I go with PRG and in January apply for BCE? (I don't travel much)

Do this offers change with time (say in 2 weeks or a month)?

Thank you.

Lucky son of a gun.

I would have loved to have these offers! I had to settle for 25K/$2,000 in 3mo on the PRG, and 10K/$1,000 in 3mo on the ED.

I'd torch my way out of the garden to get that 100K/$3,000 in 3mo on Plat.

Message 8 of 15
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

Thats an awesome offer on the Platinum.  I'd take it in a heartbeat, this time of year especially.  You can use your $200 statement credit for airline gift cards then on jan 1 do it again, that's $400 of the AF right there, this time next year just cancel if the card is no longer worth it. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VegasKyle wrote:

Thats an awesome offer on the Platinum.  I'd take it in a heartbeat, this time of year especially.  You can use your $200 statement credit for airline gift cards then on jan 1 do it again, that's $400 of the AF right there, this time next year just cancel if the card is no longer worth it. 

Clever trick sir, very clever.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.