Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex premium car rental protection

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex premium car rental protection

@navyox wrote:

Walt, thanks for the great explanation.   That last part is pretty scary, I'm surprised rental car accidents aren't the leading cause of bankruptcy haha.

Presumably, you have personal insurance coverage.  That would still cover the damage to the other car and any injuries.  I am just pointing it out because a lot of people think that they aren't going to have to file anything against their own insurance because their CC has auto insurance.  But it is usually just CDW even if it is primary.  So your insurance may have to get involved if it is something beyond damage to the rental vehicle.    

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
navyox
Regular Contributor

Thanks.  This thread is a great lesson in not understanding how something works and just hoping for the best.   Granted, I rent a car probably once every 3 years, but this is definitely something I need to learn more about.   I remember declining the additional insurance last time I rented (2 years ago) because "hey, I've got USAA, they're good, right?" but not really having a clue what happen if there was an accident. 

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 12 of 21
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if you can purchase this coverage when renting a car through Priceline or Hotwire?
Message 13 of 21
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@navyox wrote:

Thanks.  This thread is a great lesson in not understanding how something works and just hoping for the best.   Granted, I rent a car probably once every 3 years, but this is definitely something I need to learn more about.   I remember declining the additional insurance last time I rented (2 years ago) because "hey, I've got USAA, they're good, right?" but not really having a clue what happen if there was an accident. 

+1, can't agree more. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 14 of 21
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I got the $25 plan. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 21
boomersooner02000
Valued Member

Priceline, Expedia sell the coverage at your time of purchase. The two major companies are Allianz global assistance and Berkely care. Both are good and pay damage claims should u have one
Message 16 of 21
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

If you pay for the rental with your amex card and are enrolled with the premium car rental protection, the protection will apply (for priceline, expedia rentals). I have had instances where they did not bill me the protection (its billed after the rental) so I've called to just confirm. Its quick and easy to give them a ring to confirm if you are protected before the rental.

Message 17 of 21
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Remember this is CDW.  It doesn't typically cover anything other than collision damage to the rental vehicle.  Damage to the other vehicle is not typically covered.  Injuries to people are not typically covered.  So, for example, if you caused an accident and injured the other driver, the damage to the other driver's car and their injuries wouldn't typically be covered by these policies.  You may still want to get liability coveage when you are renting.  

All that said, I believe the Amex premium policy does cover damage to other vehicles and injuries to persons.

It does only cover the collision damage to the rental vehicle, and is NOT liability coverage. If you get in an accident with another vehicle, you will still need to go through your insurance to have it paid. I was in a pretty bad accident with a motorcycle while on vacation a few years ago. The rental car was damaged (scraped badly from bumper to bumper). The motorcyclist was injured pretty badly, and his bike was destroyed (long story).

AMEX covered all of the damage to the rental vehicle, and even paid my insurance deductible and a couple of other miscellaneous fees. They did not cover the other vehicle (the motorcycle) or the biker's injuries. I had to make a claim with my personal insurance for that.

Definitley make sure you know what you are getting when you use this (or any perk with a credit card).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 18 of 21
YanYan
Message 19 of 21
YanYan

What Are the Minimum Liability Insurance Requirements for Private Passenger Vehicles (California Insurance Code §11580.1b)?

$15,000 for injury/death to one person.
$30,000 for injury/death to more than one person.
$5,000 for damage to property.

-----

I just remembered that at least in NY and CA your basic daily rate for any car rental includes the state minimum for liability at no additional cost. I would imagine it's the same in most other states, too. Rental agencies don't advertise this fact as they probably think many people would then decline their supplemental liability protection.

Of course, the state minimums in CA are a joke. If you get into an accident $5,000 for property damage and $15,000 for personal injury pretty much borders on crazy.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.