Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex prequals in mail not online

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex prequals in mail not online

I'm not getting anything online but I have two mailers. One expires May 17 other April 24.

On is for Green Charge and another is for Blue card but I don't think it's the cash card. It says earn one MR point per dollar.

Didn't know if anyone had that one?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex prequals in mail not online

"Blue from American Express." I've had mine for 14 years. Fairly worthless since they introduced the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred. I'm on the fence on closing it, but I just moved all but $1k to my SPG. The underwriting is the same for all of the charge cards and it seems about if not exactly the same for the non-cobranded revolving cards (Blue and EveryDay series). If you are prequalified for those, it's fairly likely you would also get any of the comparable cards. Green is pretty worthless; if you fly once a year the Premier Rewards Gold would make up for the $100 difference. Does the Blue have a specific APR listed?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:
"Blue from American Express." I've had mine for 14 years. Fairly worthless since they introduced the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred. I'm on the fence on closing it, but I just moved all but $1k to my SPG. The underwriting is the same for all of the charge cards and it seems about if not exactly the same for the non-cobranded revolving cards (Blue and EveryDay series). If you are prequalified for those, it's fairly likely you would also get any of the comparable cards. Green is pretty worthless; if you fly once a year the Premier Rewards Gold would make up for the $100 difference. Does the Blue have a specific APR listed?

It says 18.99 APR

no promotion

Message 3 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

18.99 is the mid-tier for that card (it's a 3-tier, where the low is 15.99 and high is 20.99).  If you're getting that, you should almost certainly be approved for your pick of whichever revolver and charge card you want from American Express.  Pick the ones that best meet your needs and spending - chances are, those would not be the Green charge card and "Blue from American Express" cards.  If you don't get the lowest APR on the revolver, hit them up in chat and tell them you are happy to have been approved but are a little disappointed in the APR.  Chances are fair they'll knock it down 2-3% depending on the card.  If not, use the card for 6 months and ask again.  My Blue actually has a lower APR than the minimum published; they're good about lowering them on accounts in good standing.  

ETA: Also, marketing can lag behind for a few months with pretty much all lenders.  If your credit scores have improved recently, there's a good chance you would be approved for better terms than the mailers. Likewise, if your scores have dropped significantly there's a good chance you wouldn't be approved for the offers in the mailers.  As an example, when I got my Citi Diamond Preferred, it was through a 12.24% prequalify on their website and I was getting 2-3 mailers from them a week offering the Diamond Preferred and Double Cash with a 21.24% APR!  My overall util had dropped from about 75-80% down to 30% in the preceding 7 or 8 months.  I still got the 21.x% offers for the same card in the mail once or twice a week for at least a month after getting approved for it at 12.24%.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.