Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex product change.

tag
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Amex product change.

Has anyone had experience with product changing a Amex charge card? Im coming up on my 1 year anniversary for my Amex Green card. When can I product change to either Amex Zync or even Gold card. I know I've read about a 13 month rule, but does that mean I will have to pay the $95 AF still and then pay either the Zync or Gold AF as well once I product change? Anyone with some personal insight here would be helpful and thanks again myfico community!

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex product change.

Hello!  I am not speaking form experience only some research and info provided by individuals on this forum.

I believe that you will still be required to pay the AF for the Green before you PC to the new card but Amex will Pro-rate the new AF for the new charge product PC'd into.

Example:  Amex Gold = $125 -   Amex Green = $95.  You will recieve a $95 credit toward your new annual fee of $125 after the PC to Gold. 

Hope this helps.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 10
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hello!  I am not speaking form experience only some research and info provided by individuals on this forum.

I believe that you will still be required to pay the AF for the Green before you PC to the new card but Amex will Pro-rate the new AF for the new charge product PC'd into.

Example:  Amex Gold = $125 -   Amex Green = $95.  You will recieve a $95 credit toward your new annual fee of $125 after the PC to Gold. 

Hope this helps.

Ok so it is prorated. Was somewhat worried they might double dip with the fees haha. So if I were to change it to Zync would I recieve a statement credit of the remainder?

Message 3 of 10
logan_720
Established Contributor

As I have understood, the Zync is the lowest level of Amex's charge cards. I believe it goes, Zync, Green, Gold, Platinum. With the Platinum card being the best. I have also read that the Zync cannot be PC'd, and that it's membership rewards are valued at a lower rate, which is why they are called MRE - Membership Rewards Express. I think the Zync is a "beginner" card, to help establish a history with the company. 

But like I said, this is just my interpretation of what I have read among the forum's. 

Message 4 of 10
brian2220
Regular Contributor

i called a few days ago to change my gold card to a zync to avoid the annual fee and my request was approved and it just stated showing online

she didnt say anything about an annual fee though so idk 

but im putting it in the sd from now on until amex approves me for the bce

My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 5 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You can PC down to Zync, but you cannot PC from Zync to their other charge cards. If you PC to Zync, you won't be able to PC back again. You'd need to reapply for another charge.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 10
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

@brian2220 wrote:

i called a few days ago to change my gold card to a zync to avoid the annual fee and my request was approved and it just stated showing online

Have  you had the gold longer than a year then or not quite a year?

Yeah they are stingy when it comes to the BCE, I apped for it like 4 times Smiley Very Happy I recommend calling the Executive Office number when you app or if you recon. They helped me out so much, while the standard CSR people just refused to do anything. Thats how I finally got the BCE.

Message 7 of 10
brian2220
Regular Contributor

@xboxrunner wrote:

@brian2220 wrote:

Yeah they are stingy when it comes to the BCE, I apped for it like 4 times Smiley Very Happy I recommend calling the Executive Office number when you app or if you recon. They helped me out so much, while the standard CSR people just refused to do anything. Thats how I finally got the BCE.

i have had it 11 months 

i called once before but was denied because i didnt have enough history with them

but i payed off my balances now and am gonna apply in 10 days again and if i get denied i will call executive offices

what did you tell them to get you approved.

My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 8 of 10
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

@brian2220 wrote:

@xboxrunner wrote:

@brian2220 wrote:

i have had it 11 months 

i called once before but was denied because i didnt have enough history with them

but i payed off my balances now and am gonna apply in 10 days again and if i get denied i will call executive offices

what did you tell them to get you approved.

Well the gentleman I talked to was super nice. I just told him I had the Green card for some time, but I really don't do alot of travelling and it doesnt quite meet my needs. I told him I had applied for the BCE because it fit my spending better but I was declined for minor reasons like "time as amex customer" "inquiries" and that  my credit had perfect history. I then asked if there was any way they might be able to review my application. He asked for my reference number from the application, my Green card account number, and my cell number ; and he said he would pass it along to the right people and he'd see what they can do. Called me back a few hours later and I was approved. So definately use the executive office number. I tried the normal csr line earlier and they wouldnt help me.

Message 9 of 10
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your success. 👍
Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.