Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex product change

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex product change

When I applied for my Amex in January I was so excited that I accidentally applied for the everyday card instead of the blue everyday card I wanted.  Does anyone know if Amex will change me over to the other card? I really dont care for the points system.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex product change

As long as the card you want to switch to does not have a higher AF than your current card you should be able to PC. If the AF was higher than your current one I believe you would have to wait 13 months. An Amex expert will be along shortly to confirm or correct.
Message 2 of 7
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Amex does not do product changes between points and cash back cards I'm afraid.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:
As long as the card you want to switch to does not have a higher AF than your current card you should be able to PC. If the AF was higher than your current one I believe you would have to wait 13 months. An Amex expert will be along shortly to confirm or correct.

It's not the AF difference that matters here.

Amex PC rules seem to fluctuate over time. In general, you can't PC from an MR-earning card to a cash back card. I've heard of exceptions, though. The rules have, at least at times within the last few years, been pretty loose around Delta cards and the MR-earning Blue.

Many Amex employees have said that due to the "unique earning structure" of the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred (with the extra 20% or 50%), PCs are not possible. I just PCed my EDP to an ED, but I've not heard of anyone PCing into or out of the ED/EDP lineup. After 13 months you can PC from ED to EDP, but if you don't like points, I doubt that would appeal to you.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

Amex PC rules seem to fluctuate over time. In general, you can't PC from an MR-earning card to a cash back card. I've heard of exceptions, though. The rules have, at least at times within the last few years, been pretty loose around Delta cards and the MR-earning Blue.

Many Amex employees have said that due to the "unique earning structure" of the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred (with the extra 20% or 50%), PCs are not possible. I just PCed my EDP to an ED, but I've not heard of anyone PCing into or out of the ED/EDP lineup. After 13 months you can PC from ED to EDP, but if you don't like points, I doubt that would appeal to you.

That's what I thought too. Best of luck to you OP. 

And just thought I'd ask, can you PC from a cobranded card to another cobranded card?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

That's what I thought too. Best of luck to you OP. 

And just thought I'd ask, can you PC from a cobranded card to another cobranded card?

I've heard of PCs between Delta, SPG, and Hilton. I've not heard of PCs into or out of Costco.

Some cobranded cards can become Blue Cash. OP's problem is that ED and EDP are isolated as far as PC options. The "destination" of BCE would be easier to reach from a different "starting point".

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information everyone.  I had a feeling that was the case. Oh well Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.