cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex question if I should apply if I have one?

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex question if I should apply if I have one?

If you spend enough go for the BCP. There might be a bonus floating around if you apply thru creditcards.
Message 11 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@B335is wrote:
If you spend enough go for the BCP. There might be a bonus floating around if you apply thru creditcards.

BCP maxes out at $6K per year on supermarkets.  Consider the BC if you spend a lot more.

Message 12 of 22
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I know but if OP only spends $100 a month on groceries than BCP doesn't make sense.
Message 13 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@B335is wrote:
I know but if OP only spends $100 a month on groceries than BCP doesn't make sense.

Yes, agree.  If OP wasn't asking just about Amex, at the lower end of grocery/gas spending, something like Sallie Mae makes a lot of sense, more so than BCE.  But lots of variables!

Message 14 of 22
PointLager
Established Contributor

to OP.

if you are buying travel then consider getting Amex PRG charge card in addition to a credit card.  and like FastForward said, maybe apply for one right after another (if approved).  i did the same.  First applied and approved for PRG over the phone and then i clicked to delta amex site via my skymiles login page (if that mattered) to get the delta gold.  it was only a $2k limit for me as i am new to the US but it was a start and my door in.    at 61 day mark Amex upped it to $6k with a SP and subsequently approved me for a SPG as well.

I have a corporate amex as well and that didn't have any factor in the credit approval. 

Also, if you spend on hotels and get reimbursed for them then maybe get PRG+SPG.   If you can stay at starwood hotels you would earn 5x the points on stays, a lot more than the PRG hotel bonus. i think PRG only bonuses for hotels if you book via amex site and prepay for your stay.

i've been a big fan of the charge card concept especially with my thin file.  it allows me to charge up larger amounts  and the due-by cycle gives me two full paychecks to pay it off in full.    it seems more natural that card payment is due a month after the statement is cut.   credit card due dates seem like a moving target. always around the corner LOL

Message 15 of 22
chris288
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback to everyone on the card choices.  I am looking at the Blue Cash card as that one seems to fit my lifestyle and spending habits the most.

Point-  great feedback on the cards of choice.  You seem to be in the same situation as I am with the corporate AMEX card and I am disapointed to see it was not a factor at all in your approvals.  Was really hoping it would show spending and pay habits with a YTD usage of 24-30k a year.  

I thought that would help with the approval process.  

I stay exclusively at Hilton Hotels when I travel and I believe they have a Hilton Honors AMEX, i just need to see the hotel rewards on that.  Been a Diamond member for years with them.

Message 16 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@chris288 wrote:

Point-  great feedback on the cards of choice.  You seem to be in the same situation as I am with the corporate AMEX card and I am disapointed to see it was not a factor at all in your approvals.  Was really hoping it would show spending and pay habits with a YTD usage of 24-30k a year.  

I think the point with the corporate card is that it is really your employers money, even if you originally pay the bill yourself.  So it's not your cash flow discipline that is being shown by the card, just that you have the ability to remember to pay at the right time.  Though as I said, late payment would count against you!

Message 17 of 22
chris288
Regular Contributor

Hey I do understand that about the employers money, I guess I just figured it would show account management behavior.  Who knows I will surely ask when I apply through the backdoor phone number.  Smiley Happy  

Cant hurt anyway.

Message 18 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@chris288 wrote:

Hey I do understand that about the employers money, I guess I just figured it would show account management behavior.  Who knows I will surely ask when I apply through the backdoor phone number.  Smiley Happy  

Cant hurt anyway.

Curious, what BDN are you referring to? AMEX will take a phone app but there isn't a BDN for applications

Message 19 of 22
chris288
Regular Contributor

I stand corrected!  There is no BDN for applications.  Sorry.  Will have to be when applying directly.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.