Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex question

tag
spartantx117
Contributor

Amex question

My mother in law and i were going over her credit report and saw she has a Amex that was opened in 1999 and last reported in 2007 it is showing a zero balance and is still showing as open with a zero balance and a 15k credit line. is it normal for Amex to just leave a account sitting like that? I thought that most card companies generally would close the account after a few years of inactivity.

-------9000-------------9000-------------4000-------------2600-------------1800AU-----------800-------------3200------------18000-------------20000-------

Barclaycard FICO 754
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex question

is she sure it is open?

Yall should request the card and see if it works.

In all reality, Amex has probably issued tens of millions of accounts, and perhaps their risk managers just haven't made it to that old account lol

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 4
echo13
Valued Member

Each credit issuer has their own policy. In this case it may be best to just give them a call. If its still active she should be able to use the automated system.

AMEX Green: NPSL | AMEX BCE: 6K | Chase CSP: 5K | Chase Freedom: 1.5K | Chase SW (AU): 10K | Discover IT: 2K | WF CashBack: 1K | Cap1 No-Hassel: 1.25K | Cap1 CashBack: 1.5K
Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@spartantx117 wrote:

is it normal for Amex to just leave a account sitting like that? I thought that most card companies generally would close the account after a few years of inactivity.

Depends on the creditor.  I also suggest just calling versus speculating about what is or isn't normal.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.