Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex question !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex question !

Is the amex extended warranty worth a while ?! I'm going to buy a computer (poured a cup of water on the old one ) and I have the option to put it either on amex (because of the warranty extensions) or on my discover it because it's 0% APR until December and 10% after that ...... Stores like hhgregg or best buy will harass you to buy the in house "protection" geek squad BS or whatever it's called , I know the chances of a computer getting busted in the first t 2 years is slim to none .plus when you buy the store provided protections you usually forgot you paid for it especially if the situation happens 2 years later lol .... but if I'm carrying a product like amex or chase that allows for extra protection on your purchase , should I choose that over 0% APR ?! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: Amex question !

Discover gives an additional year of coverage when you purchase with their card.  I have never tried to use the Discover warranty, so I don't know how easy it is to make a claim.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 2 of 6
Lyythine
Established Contributor

With laptop prices as low as they are these days - no.  Self-insure and take the 0% offer if you must finance it.

In other news, I liked the enthusiasm in your thread heading Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

With laptop prices as low as they are these days - no.  Self-insure and take the 0% offer if you must finance it.

In other news, I liked the enthusiasm in your thread heading Smiley Wink

Yeah , it seems you need to put amex in the heading in order for somebody to help :/

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

which ever is better for you.  The warranty protection may or may not come into play. 

My mother put my laptop on her amex in 2011.  My house was broken into about 2 weeks later and it was stolen (along with my purse and some other things and we were home asleep at the time). Amex replaced it.  The second computer had all kinds of issues from the get go and was sent back and forth to samsung for two months before it worked, the store would not take it back, had it been my own Amex I would have contacted them and they would have helped return/exchange it.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the amex extended warranty worth a while ?! 

Worth is always highly subjective and you have to go with whatever your priorities dictate.  Many do find AmEx's extended protection useful.  I haven't had to use it myself but YMMV.

@Anonymous wrote:

but if I'm carrying a product like amex or chase that allows for extra protection on your purchase , should I choose that over 0% APR ?! 

Agian, your call based on your specific priorities.

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah , it seems you need to put amex in the heading in order for somebody to help :/

Wiould help to use a more descriptive subject like "AmEx Extended Warranty Versus 0%".

@Anonymous wrote:

I know the chances of a computer getting busted in the first t 2 years is slim to none .

I wouldn't say that.  My father-in-law just had a brand new HP die on him.  My work Dell laptop died on me shortly after it was issued to me.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.