Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex "Member Since" Charge Card Different from Revolver

tag
Billharrell
Regular Contributor

Amex "Member Since" Charge Card Different from Revolver

Just a useless point of information:

When I was a teenager (1995) I was an AU on my father's Amex Platinum charge card, dropped it in 2001. No experience with Amex since then. When I got a BCE card this fall the card read "Member Since 17," but on my online account it read "...since 1995."

This week I added a PRG (charge) card and got it in the mail today, and it said member since "95". I don't know, maybe it's the charge vs. credit card thing, or maybe they just throw any random date on their cards. Either way, I wish they still backdated!

2/18 FICO 8's:
EX(692): 3.1yrs, 8 inq.
TU(654): 0.3yrs, 3 inq.
EQ(683): 3.1yrs, 3 inq.
Utilization: 50%

Wall of Shame (recent denials/wish list):

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex "Member Since" Charge Card Different from Revolver

My BCE says member since '95  (way back when i first burned them as a teenager!) but my charge card says '17.  It's a conspiracy!

Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, we ALL want backdating backSmiley Wink. My green says member since 17, my 2 ccc's say member since 98Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone recently posted that when you return to Amex your first card back will have the new year on it and subsequent cards will have the correct Member Since year.

Unfortunately, backdating ended in March, 2015 so while its cool to see Member Since 95 online and on the card...it will report as opened in 2017 to the bureaus. 

You can call them and ask to change the Member Since year on your credit cards if you wish. 

Message 4 of 11
Billharrell
Regular Contributor

As much as I'd love to strut around with my ancient 20th century "member since" date, I know that absolutely no one cares. BUT...this forum has taught me that I'll be doing my son a huge solid by adding him as an AU next year when he turms 15. If I had the AAoA benefit of my old '95 card today, I'd be writing this post naked from the Riviera right now.

2/18 FICO 8's:
EX(692): 3.1yrs, 8 inq.
TU(654): 0.3yrs, 3 inq.
EQ(683): 3.1yrs, 3 inq.
Utilization: 50%

Wall of Shame (recent denials/wish list):

Message 5 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Billharrell wrote:

As much as I'd love to strut around with my ancient 20th century "member since" date, I know that absolutely no one cares. BUT...this forum has taught me that I'll be doing my son a huge solid by adding him as an AU next year when he turms 15. If I had the AAoA benefit of my old '95 card today, I'd be writing this post naked from the Riviera right now.

Amex not only doesn't backdate anymore, but they now date AU accounts to the day that the AU was added, not when the primary cardmember actually opened the account.  While it would certainly be great for him to get those 3 years in before he turns 18, adding a card from any other lender would actually help his credit age more since he would inherit the complete account history.

As for the original question, yes there is a quirk the last year or so with Amex where the primary cardmember's first card issued on a new account may say "Member Since 17."  But simply ordering a replacement card  will get you a card that has your real Member Since date.  I was annoyed when I opened my SPG in March and added my wife when applying.  Mine arrived with "Member Since 17" and hers arrived with "Member Since 03" which is the year I first added her as an AU on my original 3 Amex cards. LOL My Platinum SkyMiles card did actually arrive with the correct Member Since date, though. 

Message 6 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I should also point out that while we will likely add both kids as AUs when they turn 13 (possibly before since they may need them for daily use) on cards that will be 30+ years old at that point, I have absolutely every intention of adding them as Platinum card AUs on their 15th birthdays regardless of account dating.

Message 7 of 11
Kree
Established Contributor

@Billharrell wrote:

I added my daughter to my QS when she was 2 weeks old. I hope it serves her well.

Message 8 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I really think we need to start a campaign for Amex to reopen backdating. It would be a great way to expand loyalty amongst us AmexersSmiley Wink. Make Amex Great Again 2018 Backdate or BustSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I really think we need to start a campaign for Amex to reopen backdating. It would be a great way to expand loyalty amongst us AmexersSmiley Wink. Make Amex Great Again 2018 Backdate or BustSmiley Happy

Right? I kick myself for not opening a PRG early in 2015 before backdating ended. I'd like to try one out but not at the expense of my AAoA (I already took the hit last year for my NFCU card and this year for USAA-both very well worth it) or at the expense of upgrading my Zync. That was such a cool and unique benefit that Amex had. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.