Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex "credit steps" auto CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex "credit steps" auto CLI?

I was approved for the Amex ED back in September for $500. I got the email that says I have to use the card each month and have a payment due each statement to be eligible for an auto CLI after 6 months. My 6th statement cuts today/tomorrow. I spoke with a CSR on chat last night to ask about when the CLI would happen, and he wasn't sure. For anyone who also has the "credit steps" version of an Amex card, when does this auto CLI after 6 months of use happen? Does it happen right when the statement cuts? A few days after? I have not requested a higher limit at all yet (didn't try for any 61 or 91 day blah blah blah CLI) because I think that makes me ineligible for the auto CLI after 6 months, according to the language used in the approval email.

Also, I plan on applying for the Amex Delta Blue because it has a low SUB of $500 in first 3 months to get 10,000 Delta miles, which isn't a lot but it would cover most of the miles I'd need for a trip I'd like to take this summer. I know it will probably be a SP since I'm already an Amex customer. My score according to Amex is 659. Should I wait until I get my auto CLI on my ED to apply for the Delta just to see if that would give me a higher limit with the Delta, or does it not matter? I know it will probably be another $500 or $1000 limit because of my score, but that's fine with me. I really just want the SUB and don't want to wait lol

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex "credit steps" auto CLI?

The auto-CLI usually occurs 2-3 days after the statement which qualifies you for it is cut.  But if you dig into the Terms & Conditions of the credit steps program you'd see that Amex gives itself up to a month after that statement is cut to make the CLI but in practice its only a few days. (See the second condition).

And I would advise you to wait until you get the auto-CLI before applying for any more credit.

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 9.32.13 AM.png

Message 2 of 7
dmjohnson

Honestly, I would see if you prequalify or the Delta Gold card. (I know checking prequal offers from them is hard when already a member.) I was approved in January for that card, my first card with AMEX, with a roughly 640 score for a $1k limit. The offer I was given was $35,000 miles for $1k spend in 3 months, plus no AF for the first year. I know it has a $95 AF, but that can be taken care of depending on how often you fly delta, and to where. with the free checked bag, 2 fround trip flights in a year will negate the AF anyway. 

I do not know what the gold offer looks like now, and I understand if you do not like the AF idea, this was just my experience. Either way, it is a nice feeling to have a card that will reward you with miles, especially if you like to travel! I spent most of my very few adult years off racing sprint cars every weekend, so now that I am kind of taking a break from that, we are trying to travel as much as we can!

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dmjohnsonwrote:

Honestly, I would see if you prequalify or the Delta Gold card. (I know checking prequal offers from them is hard when already a member.) I was approved in January for that card, my first card with AMEX, with a roughly 640 score for a $1k limit. The offer I was given was $35,000 miles for $1k spend in 3 months, plus no AF for the first year. I know it has a $95 AF, but that can be taken care of depending on how often you fly delta, and to where. with the free checked bag, 2 fround trip flights in a year will negate the AF anyway. 

I do not know what the gold offer looks like now, and I understand if you do not like the AF idea, this was just my experience. Either way, it is a nice feeling to have a card that will reward you with miles, especially if you like to travel! I spent most of my very few adult years off racing sprint cars every weekend, so now that I am kind of taking a break from that, we are trying to travel as much as we can!

Good Luck!

It shows that I'm preapproved for the Delta Blue and also the Delta Gold and Delta Platinum and Reserve, among other cards. Yes, I looked at the Delta Gold details but I don't want a card with an annual fee though. I've never flown before in my life. I travel occasionally but not often, and I'm terrified of flying but if I want to get anywhere faster than driving a car I'll need to overcome my fear of flying. So this summer I'll be flying at least once. The Delta Gold free checked bag wouldn't be very useful to me since I don't plan on flying often. Thank you for the data points though Smiley Happy I feel more confident that I'd be approved for the Delta Blue.

I'll try to hold off until my statement cuts and I see an auto CLI and then apply for the Delta Blue. It's difficult to wait, but I guess it might be worth it.

Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous   Right now the signup bonus on the Gold is fantastic, and the AF is waived the first year.  Trust me, "go for the gold," and then if you don't want the AF after the free year is up you can call or chat and product change down to the no-AF blue one.  The signup bonus alone is enough for a free round-trip Main Cabin ticket to Europe or multiple round-trip domestic Main Cabin tickets!  Plus there's a $50 statement credit with your first Delta purchase (suggestion: buy a $50 Delta gift card using a desktop browser).  I very seriously doubt that the underwriting criteria is different among the Delta cards.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

@Anonymous   Right now the signup bonus on the Gold is fantastic, and the AF is waived the first year.  Trust me, "go for the gold," and then if you don't want the AF after the free year is up you can call or chat and product change down to the no-AF blue one.  The signup bonus alone is enough for a free round-trip Main Cabin ticket to Europe or multiple round-trip domestic Main Cabin tickets!  Plus there's a $50 statement credit with your first Delta purchase (suggestion: buy a $50 Delta gift card using a desktop browser).  I very seriously doubt that the underwriting criteria is different among the Delta cards.

Hmmm.....do you know if there is a specific amount of months that I have to wait before doing a product change? I think I've seen it mentioned somewhere but I can't remember what it was. Would the annual fee be charged on the anniversary of my card opening date?

Message 6 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The AF will be charged on your anniversary date. You have 30 days to have it waived or PC. With the recent Amex crackdown on bonus abuse, I’d play it safe and not cancel or PC until the one year mark.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.