Did you mean: 

Amex "pay later option"

tag
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex "pay later option"

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:
FYI - I just chatted with Amex and if you use the "pay later option" it is not reported to the credit agencies, it is a hidden trade line.

This corresponds to what I have read elsewhere but to be clear, the card still reports as a charge card as normal but the amount financed over time is internal and does not get reported.

Yes, that is my understanding.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
FYI - I just chatted with Amex and if you use the "pay later option" it is not reported to the credit agencies, it is a hidden trade line.

Good to know. Thanks!!!

Message 12 of 35
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I just received my Platinum and found info on the website about Pay Over Time, but wasn't given the ability to opt in. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 13 of 35
elim
Senior Contributor

I've had the option for almost 2 years, It reports as a Credit Card, 1 month terms, missing limit.  35k POT and my spending power has been as low as 5k and as high as 17k.

Message 14 of 35
12njoy
Super Contributor

I converted my PRG to the Green last year and about 2 months ago, after years of having PRG, I was given the POT feature.  I called and Amex said the 35k is like a bucket.  While your one time charge limit may be say 20,000, the 35k is the total max POT charges that you can occurr.  If you were to make 35,000 $100 transactions (simplistic), these would go into POT and you will not be able to use POT for future purchases over $100.  They also explained that the "purchasing power" on their website is designed only for one-time purchases and is not indicitive of your overall charge ability on your card.  While the "purchasing power" button may say you have been approved for a purchase in the amount of $10,0000 that only applies to that potential transaction, not an overall charge limit.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So what exactly does "pay later" entail?  I'm not understanding the difference of $35k with "pay later" verses simply a CLI to $35k?

It's a charge card that has a revolving option to it.  Any purchases over $100 will be put into the POT(pay over time) bucket.  The 35k limit is subjective not a hard limit, Amex will never let you get that high.  The limit could be different for everyone, IMO.

I don't understandw why AMEX allows these now. A charge card is meant to be paid in full every month, or else you get a not-so-nice letter explaining if you do it again, your card will be closed. If people want to carry a balance, get a revolver. American Express's leadership lacks common sense in this day and age. If I sign up for a charge card, I know I'm not supposed to carry a balance, but AMEX seems to give in.

The rewards need to be inceased, the annual fees need  to be decreased, CSR's need to go back to bending over backwards for their customers (and be from America), the charge cards need to be just that, and the underwriting needs to go back to the level it used to be at.

Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I converted my PRG to the Green last year

Please explain to me why you did that. The Green has next to zero benefits, and is only $100 cheaper a year.

Message 17 of 35
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Please explain to me why you did that. The Green has next to zero benefits, and is only $100 cheaper a year.

Personal choice because I didn't want to pay the $175 fee.  We have our own reasons for doing the things we do and this worked for me.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@12njoy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Personal choice because I didn't want to pay the $175 fee.  We have our own reasons for doing the things we do and this worked for me.

Don't take it as a "roast", I was just curious.

Message 19 of 35
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@12njoy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't take it as a "roast", I was just curious.

Understood Smiley Wink

___________ 12Njoy
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.