cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - reapplying after paying off a closed card?

tag
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

Amex - reapplying after paying off a closed card?

My hubby had a card for about 12 years.   Last year during an account review, they closed it with a large balance which he continued to pay faithfully.   He finally made his last payment this month and now has a zero balance.

His scores are back in the 760 range.   Can he reapply?     Will they backdate his membership to 2002?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Re: Amex - reapplying after paying off a closed card?

@SusieQ wrote:

My hubby had a card for about 12 years.   Last year during an account review, they closed it with a large balance which he continued to pay faithfully.   He finally made his last payment this month and now has a zero balance.

His scores are back in the 760 range.   Can he reapply?     Will they backdate his membership to 2002?

I had AMEX close my account that I had for many years last November due to score drop.  I did fix most of the issues that caused my score to drop and reapplied and was approved.  Also was approved for a second card as well.  As long as he now has his house in order I would think he could reapply.

BTW - AMEX backdated my two cards to 1983 when I first had a Green charge card in college.

Good Luck!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 2 of 8
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice.    He is going to apply after the billing cycle closes and his balance on statement is 0.

Message 3 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@SusieQ wrote:

Thanks for the advice.    He is going to apply after the billing cycle closes and his balance on statement is 0.

1% to 9% on one card is much better score wise then 0% on all cards.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 8
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

i didn't mean 0 utilization, I meant final payment on closed amex account reflecting a 0 balance.

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think he is good to apply now.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah he should have a good shot now
Message 7 of 8
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

Update ......  Yeah, he got his Amex back today!

Hopefully, it will have his original membership date.   Will let you know.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.