cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex revolver overlimit... or it's not overlimit at all?

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Amex revolver overlimit... or it's not overlimit at all?

Got my Amex SPG with $2k limit recenty and in order to fulfil $5k spending requirement asap I decided to charge a big (~$1800) purchase tomorrow to this card.

Earlier this week I used it for an online purchase for around $150, it went through and essentially was charged twice (by mistake) - now one transaction has already posted and another one is still in the hold, BUT because of this I have an available line of ~$1700.

I checked my spending ability putting $2100 in the field for that card, and it got approved. So, what will happen when I try to charge $1800 to this card tomorrow?

1) It will not go through - possible option, but hope this will not be the case

2) It will go through, but Amex will curse me for going overlimit (so, they will consider even transactions in hold to be "overlimit")

3) It will go through and when everything posts in 2-3 days it will still be below the CL (as total posted amount will not exceed my CL), everything will be fine and it will not be considered overlimit....

Thoughts on this?

I can obviuosly charge it to the other card, but I was hoping to use this one for spending req.

Thanks

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Amex revolver overlimit... or it's not overlimit at all?

Amex revolvers work basically like a visa siggy or world mastercard. You can go over your limit, but you have to pif any balance over your limit. If it was approved by your check spend, then it should be approved.
Message 2 of 6
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

FWIW....Whenever I plan to make purchase(s) on my charge card that aren't in normal spending, I will always phone to advise & make certain that I inform of whom the merchant/spend amount just so we are "connected". They will inform you via phone if there will be a problem with the approval....and I've NEVER had one in 15 years.....or if you need to make a partial payment to know what outcome to expect.  

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 3 of 6
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

You can alwaysbpay the amount that has posted. Payment shows up on your availlable credit as soon as you do the payment, although it wont show as posted for a day or two.
Message 4 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

@jsucool76 wrote:
Amex revolvers work basically like a visa siggy or world mastercard. You can go over your limit, but you have to pif any balance over your limit. If it was approved by your check spend, then it should be approved.

+1

Amex will not charge an over-limit fee. The OP could also make a payment now to cancel out the purchase to be made tomorrow. Usually it takes longer for a payment to post than for a purchase.

Message 5 of 6
GQ-007
Valued Member

Rather then speculate what American Express response might be.  Call them.  That removed the uncertainty.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.