Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex says I'm approved but...

tag
teenastie
Established Contributor

Amex says I'm approved but...

Hello all,

I was recently approved for a Amex gold charge card last week. I checked the status online today and I see this:

Date ReceivedCardStatus of ApplicationNext Step
01/05/12
THE AMERICAN EXPRESS PREFERRED REWARDS GOLD CARD
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days. 
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

Im pretty sure I applied for the Amex Gold and the CRS stated my AF would be $125 a few times over the phone. Is this something anyone has seen in the past or was I upgraded to the PR Gold without knowledge? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex says I'm approved but...

Maybe the rep misspoke? 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 2 of 14
Ron1
Super Contributor

Did you apply regular Gold ($125) or PR Gold Card ($175)? They can't upgrade your Gold Card into PR Gold without your knowledge.  You might have applied PR Gold.

Ron.

Message 3 of 14
teenastie
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Did you apply regular Gold ($125) or PR Gold Card ($175)? They can't upgrade your Gold Card into PR Gold without your knowledge.  You might have applied PR Gold.

Ron.

I applied for the regular Gold ($125) The rep advised that I would get the first year waived (I applied over the phone) then backtracked and stated oh wait your already a member though Zync so you can get premier seating MR points etc...

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This card is actualy much better than gold card if you travel enough. Your break even point compared with gold card is at least $2500 in airfare purchase/year. You could downgrade it to lower AF charge card anyway so no need to be worried. 

Message 5 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the approval !!   Perhaps the CSR thought that it wouldn't matter if you were PR Gold since the AF is waived for the first year.   

Either way you can always change it back to Gold, it shouldn't be an issue IMO...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 14
teenastie
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Congrats on the approval !!   Perhaps the CSR thought that it wouldn't matter if you were PR Gold since the AF is waived for the first year.   

Either way you can always change it back to Gold, it shouldn't be an issue IMO...

Thanks Pizzadude!

Because I currently have a Zync waived AF does not apply to me Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@teenastie wrote:

Thanks Pizzadude!

Because I currently have a Zync waived AF does not apply to me Smiley Sad

Wow, that is too bad !!  I don't understand why having a Zync would disqualify you from that offer....Smiley Frustrated

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 14
teenastie
Established Contributor

So I called Amex (spoke to a fairly rude rep) to see if I would qualify for the bonus 10,000 MR points... they told me No. I also asked if I was approved for the PR Gold or the standard Gold and the rep said on his system I was approved for the Standard Amex Gold. I'm OK with that decision. I already have a card that gives Double points for Gas and the like. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're thinking about Premier. Preferred is the regular gold.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.