Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex second card question

tag
drboxing
Established Contributor

Amex second card question

Has any AMEX cardholder ever received another type of AMEX card from Amex without applying?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex second card question

You mean a card just magically shows up on your doorstep without applying for one? I have never heard of that happening with any lender, except when a card product line was discontinued and a card for its replacement product was sent.
Message 2 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@drboxing wrote:
Has any AMEX cardholder ever received another type of AMEX card from Amex without applying?

Oh boy does this need clarification. You mean like just randomly showing up in the mailbox?  No, but that used to happen with the BankAmericard.  Being upgraded or product changed either willfully or unwillfully?  A good example would be people with the Optima card getting EveryDay cards as replacements since it's being slowly phased out.

Message 3 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Noctilum wrote:
You mean a card just magically shows up on your doorstep without applying for one? I have never heard of that happening with any lender, except when a card product line was discontinued and a card for its replacement product was sent.

Ha! I almost used the exact same phrasing as your first sentence then changed it.  Confused me for a second. Some light reading for you.

Message 4 of 12
drboxing
Established Contributor

I'm just asking a question. Let's say I had Amex Blue Cash for a while but then Amex automatically sent me an Amex Green charge card. Just asking if this has ever happened.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

i remember when i want something i must ask for in America.

Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@drboxing wrote:
I'm just asking a question. Let's say I had Amex Blue Cash for a while but then Amex automatically sent me an Amex Green charge card. Just asking if this has ever happened.

Wasn't poking fun at the original question, it was just a little vague. While it was common to receive unsolicited credit cards 40-50 years ago, these days you have to explicitly enter into a credit agreement so the answer would be no.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do think someone a few days ago said they got a Amex Hilton and had not finished their application, but I would doubt that it would ever happen that one would ever show up randomly with no application at least started. But then again stranger things have happened. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm the one with the AMEX Hilton...I got sidetracked partway through the app and never sent it.  I've been told by other posters that it's impossible, but I was there and KNOW I never completed the app.  I meant to complete the app, just never quite got that far...I was at work and the phone rang and I never circled back on it. 

As far as one just showing up with you not requesting it, I can't imagine that's even legal unless it replaces an existing account.  Not that an AMEX Green showing up in the mailbox would be a bad thing... 

Message 9 of 12
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm the one with the AMEX Hilton...I got sidetracked partway through the app and never sent it.  I've been told by other posters that it's impossible, but I was there and KNOW I never completed the app.  I meant to complete the app, just never quite got that far...I was at work and the phone rang and I never circled back on it. 

As far as one just showing up with you not requesting it, I can't imagine that's even legal unless it replaces an existing account.  Not that an AMEX Green showing up in the mailbox would be a bad thing... 

A new account on your report you didn't ask for that has an AF to boot is not only a bad thing, that's a Wells-Fargo level of shady bad.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.