Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex sign up bonus

tag
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex sign up bonus

You can only receive one sign-up bonus, per card, per card family, in a lifetime.

So for example, with the Delta Amex card "family" which consists of Gold, Platinum and Reserve, you can only get the sign-up bonus one time total for that family.  So choose wisely which card in that family you opt for.  

If you do not meet the spend then you wasted your chance in that family of cards.

Message 11 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Upgrade bonuses are not the same as sign up bonuses. Upgrade bonuses are targeted.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You are only offered an acquisition bonus once in a lifetime per product - regardless of whether the spend bonus was met or not. Hope this helps to clarify.

I'd listen to her. She sorta knows a thing or two about Amex Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
You are only offered an acquisition bonus once in a lifetime per product - regardless of whether the spend bonus was met or not. Hope this helps to clarify.

I'd listen to her. She sorta knows a thing or two about Amex Smiley Wink

Not arguing, just looking for clarification because the wording on my various AMEX apps seemed to say that you merely could only receive any bonus once per card. It didn't seem to suggest that the limitation was actually on the bonus offer itself, but on the receipt of said bonus - in which case missing a bonus would not make one ineligible for a bonus on that same card in the future.

On the subject of card families, I am taking that Amex Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold are not in the same family in this case - since I received signup bonuses on both.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Corvidae wrote:

You can only receive one sign-up bonus, per card, per card family, in a lifetime.

So for example, with the Delta Amex card "family" which consists of Gold, Platinum and Reserve, you can only get the sign-up bonus one time total for that family.  So choose wisely which card in that family you opt for.  

If you do not meet the spend then you wasted your chance in that family of cards.

Actually, this isn't how it works.  The wording Amex gives may make you think that but you can the bonus for every card once even if it's in the same 'family'.  You can get the bonuses for all three of those Delta cards you list just the same as you can get the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred bonuses wen they are definitely in the same family.  Even when cards might seem like duplicates like how Amex offers the Platinum card in the regular version and also a Mercedes Benz Platinum and Charles Schwab Platinum card.  Definitely same family but you can get the bonuses for all three Platinum cards.  Well actually 4, because you can get the Business Platinum bonus as well.  

The limitation of one card bonus per lifetime is actually just that, per card, not family.

Message 15 of 19
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

In March last year I got the Delta Gold.  I didn't realizing how much I would be traveling on Delta so I decided to apply for the Reserve in September and try for it's bonus.  I was told I was approved but would not receive the bonus because I received one for the Delta Gold.  Should I try and fight for the bonus?  I tried two different CSR's initially.

I was told I could receive the bonus twice in the same family if I had one set as a business card.  But I don't have a business so that wasn't an option.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Corvidae wrote:

In March last year I got the Delta Gold.  I didn't realizing how much I would be traveling on Delta so I decided to apply for the Reserve in September and try for it's bonus.  I was told I was approved but would not receive the bonus because I received one for the Delta Gold.  Should I try and fight for the bonus?  I tried two different CSR's initially.

I was told I could receive the bonus twice in the same family if I had one set as a business card.  But I don't have a business so that wasn't an option.

Did you meet the spending requirement for the Reserve?  If so, you can ask but in the future I wouldnt even bring up bonuses with Amex CSRs because they're going to recite you the language about getting the bonuses only once in a family.

Message 17 of 19
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

I was blatantly told in the approval/welcome letter that I would not be receiving the bonus so I didn't bother to hit the spend yet, but I still have time and can easily do it since it was just last month that I was approved.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm what Scottish80 has said. It is per product, not family. If you still have time to meet your spend requirement, I would do it promptly.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.