Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex spend pattern for 3x CLI

tag
911GT3
Established Member

Amex spend pattern for 3x CLI

Hey guys , I got a PRG and a BCE approved last week and have received both cards . Since the BCE came with  $1K toy limit, I am wondering that if I do  substantial spending on the PRG , that they will look at the spending as an aggregate with Amex and take into consideration when the time comes to request 3x CLI on the BCE. I will spend only  enough in the next 3 months on the BCE to get the sign-on bonus, nothing more. Any advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sdotlow
Established Member

Re: Amex spend pattern for 3x CLI

I'm wondering the same thing.  Just got my AMEX BCE with a 2k limit.  Going to make this my every day card, except for gas for the next few months (Discover 5% for gas).  What's the best route to getting the 3x CLI?

Amex CS scores - EX-745 / EQ-745 / TU-767 (6/28/13)
BankAmericard Cash Rewards - 10k, MAFCU Visa Rewards - 10k, Chase Freedom - 2500, Discover IT - 2000, Barclay Apple - 2000, AMEX BCE - 2000
Gardening as of 6/28/13
Message 2 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@sdotlow wrote:

What's the best route to getting the 3x CLI?

What do you mean?  There's an AmEx 3x CLI guide out there with the details.

Message 3 of 9
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Just spend as you normally would. Amex is very generous to begin with they may just test you during those first 2 months

Message 4 of 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Ok, I just received my 3X, so if you want to know what I did:

Blue Cash Everyday.

My CL was $2000.

First month I charged $576 using the card 37 times. I waited for the charges to show on my billing statement, then paid in full. So this card's utilization was 28.8%

Second month I charged $334 using the card 14 times. I used my $150 signup bonus a few days before statement ended. Then after the statement date I paid in full. So this cards utilization was 16.7%

I have 6 credit cards, all opened in 2013, and I let the Amex BCE and another card post balances in the $500+ range, 2 other cards were just a couple hundred each, 5th card posted about $23, and the 6th card posted $0 to their most recent statements. My total credit limit was $25K, income $58K, and total utilization across all cards was about 6%. The other 5 cards reported about 3 weeks earlier, so their utilization was pretty much stuck for several weeks. I have no idea when the last time Amex did a SP, but they probably saw 6% utilization.

I always keep my card utilization low. The 2 cards reporting $500 were firsts for me, usually they all report very low usage due to paying them off multiple times per month. Plus I just don't use them anywhere near their limits.

With so many cards reporting balances, and my credit scores having taken a beating due to all these new credit cards, I was naturally hesitant to request the increase. But I needed an increase, even if it wasnt the full 3X, because I needed to buy a new HDTV set and wanted the extended warranty. As it turns out, I received the full 3X bringing me to $6000 CL.

If this can help you figure out how you want to attack your first 2 months usage, then so be it. YMMV.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 9
bribro
Valued Contributor

I spent the bare minimum ($500) on my Blue Sky to get the sign-up bonus, then didn't use it for the next few weeks. Still got the CLI. I think your income and credit score might more important than usage history. YMMV.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 9
911GT3
Established Member

Wonderful, I'll stick with the bare minimum spending for the BCE. I don't have enough spend to meet the PRG sign up bonus requirement of $2k All goes into savings Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
Zahnrosen
Contributor

It would be nice to get that if you could swing moving all your purchase to your Amex... 

Message 8 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@911GT3 wrote:
Wonderful, I'll stick with the bare minimum spending for the BCE. I don't have enough spend to meet the PRG sign up bonus requirement of $2k All goes into savings Smiley Happy

Google search "complete minimum spending on credit cards"

First few links will help.

There's many ways to meet minimum spending, such as paying for your mortage and car loans using CCs through certain services. Worst case scenario, resort to manufactured spending. 

Don't ever give up on getting sign-up bonuses! It's one of the best parts of getting approvals.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.