Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex spying on my Linkedin

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

Amex spying on my Linkedin

So I requested a cli yesturday on my BCE.  I got the will recieve written notice message so i figure Its a no go , and this morning I wake up to a notice that someone that a credit analyst at Amex looked at my profile. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
samset93

Re: Amex spying on my Linkedin

wouldn't that be breaking some kind of privacy law, no?

Cap One Journey .5k auto CLI to .75k | Chase Freedom 1k | BestBuy Store Card 1.2k | MSU Federal Credit Union Visa 4k | Discover IT-Student 1k auto CLI to 1.3k | Amex BCE 2k CLI to 6k | CSP 5k
Message 2 of 59
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Could have been a coincidence. They can't do this.

Message 3 of 59
CreditHammer

It was either a coincidence or the analyst was breaking some pretty major laws! Maybe call Amex back and ask for the name of the Analyst who helped you yesterday and see if it was the same person who looked at your linkedin?

Message 4 of 59
CS800
Super Contributor

I would think AMEX cant do this. Too much of a coincidence I would say.

Message 5 of 59
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

what laws exactly would amex be breaking? your linked in profile is public. amex claims to use all available internal and externa data they can to evaluate your creditworthiness.

This would not surprise me given their FR policy.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 6 of 59
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditHammer wrote:

It was either a coincidence or the analyst was breaking some pretty major laws! Maybe call Amex back and ask for the name of the Analyst who helped you yesterday and see if it was the same person who looked at your linkedin?

Which laws do you imagine are being broken?  Anyone can (try to) look up anyone on linkedin (or facebook etc) so there is no privacy issue.  Only legal concerns would be if the credit decision was made using prohibited criteria based on linkedin profile (e.g. "Oh she's female/black/vet/old") etc, which would be almost impossible to prove

Edit: NJTurnpike beat me to it!

Message 7 of 59
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@CreditHammer wrote:

This ^^^^^^

Absolutely make a fuss about it. He could have ran your name on his own but he is part of AMEX's domain.

Message 8 of 59
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditHammer wrote:

Which laws do you imagine are being broken?  Anyone can (try to) look up anyone on linkedin (or facebook etc) so there is no privacy issue.  Only legal concerns would be if the credit decision was made using prohibited criteria based on linkedin profile (e.g. "Oh she's female/black/vet/old") etc, which would be almost impossible to prove

Edit: NJTurnpike beat me to it!

I'm quick like that. Smiley Wink

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 9 of 59
toppers555
Established Contributor

Doubt any laws were broken . More or less it is a thought of is it right? We are in the age of social media.  I really dunno if  I mind it or not.

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@CreditHammer wrote:

It was either a coincidence or the analyst was breaking some pretty major laws! Maybe call Amex back and ask for the name of the Analyst who helped you yesterday and see if it was the same person who looked at your linkedin?

This ^^^^^^

Absolutely make a fuss about it. He could have ran your name on his own but he is part of AMEX's domain.

They searched privately. I only know it a credit analyst because with linkedin account I I have.  Their name is withheld but position shows they have in their linkedin profile. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.