Eh....

I could care less really if they looked at mine. I pay my bills. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 21 of 59
chan85
Established Contributor

Re: Amex spying on my Linkedin

@ForumPheen wrote:
I don't see why Amex has the need to look at a person's profile for any given reason before giving a decision. They've operated for years without it before social networks were prevalent. So yes, should you get denied, I would look to that as part of the reason, regardless of what they say.

Advances in technology/social media means more platforms to find information for banks to use, better chances of identifying risky customers. Personally, I think it's pretty smart from a business perspective.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 22 of 59
mcf
Contributor

I have a FB but just for Fam.. I can never find the wall.. Never twitted, Instant Nothing, Telegramed whatever.. lol. Id rather call my friends and say hi, it seems more personable.. Do you think the worlds gone crazy over all the instant access? Doesnt it make everyone a stalker? I mean do we need to know what everyone is doing every minute of the day?? So weird.. or maybe im old school, we didnt have all this technology when i grew up..if you had a cell phone when i was younger ohhh geeez... lol, be prepared for a backpack to carry the thing around all day. For this reason alone is why i dont like to participate.. Ive heard potential jobs looking people up on Social media, and just plain ole scary tactics, ive got nothing to hide... or do I muahahahaha.. So doesnt surprise they may use that tactic but what if you never update what you really do etc.. and then they deny you?

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Last HP:2/2015 Util:9% CL:82KTake the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 59
mcf
Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Eh....

I could care less really if they looked at mine. I pay my bills. Smiley Happy

Searching.... lol.

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Message 24 of 59
sjt
Senior Contributor

Well Im going to update my Linkedin Account.....

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 25 of 59
jmco
Contributor

My company has an .com site and I do all the fraud checks when orders come in....part of what I do to confirm billing/shipping information is search the web including FB, LinkedIn and Spokeo.....I can't tell you how many orders I have cancelled because I have found them to be placed with stolen credit cards...especially Paypal MC....there are definite pros and cons to social media but those cardholders hat have been hit with fraud are very grateful we are taking the extra steps to confirm identity.....just my 2 cents...

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 59
mcf
Contributor

@jmco wrote:
My company has an .com site and I do all the fraud checks when orders come in....part of what I do to confirm billing/shipping information is search the web including FB, LinkedIn and Spokeo.....I can't tell you how many orders I have cancelled because I have found them to be placed with stolen credit cards...especially Paypal MC....there are definite pros and cons to social media but those cardholders hat have been hit with fraud are very grateful we are taking the extra steps to confirm identity.....just my 2 cents...

Nice, so that is a very interesting spin.. so it could be used for good. Good job! Thanks for protecting for sure!

Message 27 of 59
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@CreditHammer wrote:

I looked it up and the law isn't crystal clear on the matter but this what I found and hopefully will shed some light!

Apparently they can look at your social networking sites if they are marked public and use what they see to make a decision on your application. However, most companies have steered away from this as the creditor must be able to provide evidence that the "visit" was for business use only.. So, if a customer service rep gets Suzie Smith on the phone calling into make a phone payment and the rep thinks she sounds cute and goes to her facebook page to check out what she looks like, then the rep can be fired and the company can be sued for harassment.. BUT, if the she calls in for a CLI and the analyst goes to her page then that looks like a more legitimate reason for the company to be on her page since she is calling in for more credit.. So, if the person wanted to they could fight it.. but the company better have pretty good reason to be on her social networking page..

That’s the information that I came away with.. hope this helps!

And what exactly could they use to make a decision, one way or the other?

Message 28 of 59
Rackham94
Established Contributor

It is just like any other thing..

Even posting on here myFico if someone with the right vernacular would to google search an inquiry..

e.g. "odds of approval for amex prg.." "recovering for bk"

some threads are top results on search engines.

You can't expect to post something on the internet and it be private. IMHO if you post you put yourself at risk of exposure regardless of whoever. Would it be different if the person who searched you been an employee at Walmart?

Yes. We give these CSRs a hard time because they represent a company that we give billions of dollars every year and we will continue but on the other hand if it was someone else we could care less. It is up to the user to control privacy. My 10cents.

Message 29 of 59
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

It probably can be a smart move, but it's too  fine a line to prove what factors caused the denial.  Was it the employment criteria?  Their connections?  Or maybe it was their resume?  Politicial affiliations?  Could it just be the way they look, or even their age?

Such a fine line should never be tampered with, and I think that CC companies have no choice but to be reactive rather than proactive when it comes to new accounts.  Only then is it justifiable to go surfing the world wide web for information on a delinquent.  That platform holds no credibility if they do it to potentials.  They already approve some people before they see that they are only student workers living off a one semester grant, yet they aren't patrolling the social skies for their worthiness.  And that method has been working for them for decades to a fault (no hard numbers on how many accounts close due to age and occupation of individiual), and yet,  it's cheaper than getting a slew of lawsuits in 50 states.

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.