longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex spying on my Linkedin

@CreditHammer wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@samset93 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditHammer wrote:

They couldn't decline you due to the color of your hair could they?

Actually, I don't think that there would be a problem denying it on the color of your hair.  Compare this with credit-info based insurance rates.  "Our internal studies have shown that those with light brown hair are 20% more likely to default in the first three years than...."  Just have to avoid bias against protected categories, so color of skin would be a no-no, and proxies, such as "hair texture" would probably also not be allowed.

Re social media.  At my daughters school, many kids removed their FB entries during college application.   You want to be able to control the flow of information, and you have no way of knowing what might please/annoy someone on the admissions committee, and with ever changing privacy permissions, you need to make sure that a "friend" wouldn't post "Hope you get into univ X, it's a real party school so you will fit right in!"   Adding to the paranoia, some parents work at places where job applicants are asked to sign in to social media sites, so the interviewer can see the site without filtering.  Yes, you could claim that you didn't have one, but that might count against you if they found out you did.

If you live in Michigan this is illegal. See http://mashable.com/2012/12/29/michigan-social-media/

and they really have no business snooping in to my facebook/twitter profile (that's why I set them as private). 

Good for Michigan, hopefully other states will follow.

I do see it as a possible test of good judgement.  If you have "stupid" things on your profile, and you know that employers might look, if you haven't protected them, maybe you aren't a great evaluator of risk!

I believe all states should follow this as well.. By enabling one person to go onto your networking page and determine if you should be granted credit in regard to what they see is appauling to me..

The Michigan law doesn't address that at all.  It impacts the stuff highlighted in red above, where an employer says "I need to see you Facebook page, login in front of me or give me username/password or remove all privacy filters."  This is not allowed in that state.  

In the Amex case, if it was more than a coincidence, the employee looked at a public profile, potentially to gain more (public) information to make a decision.   Providing (and you can prove) that you don't get denied based on illegal discrimination (race,sex, vet etc) I don't see how this could be said to be unfair.

As far as I can see, the only alternative would be to say "Decisions can only be based on information submitted in the application", but then those applications would require much more authentication and verification, more like a mortgage application.  Maybe that's ok...

Message 41 of 59
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Just so you know, anything posted on the 'net is there forever, in one place or another.

Ask anyone who does this for a living.

If you post, it's there for any purpose.  You've made it public for consumption.  If it's a credit card company or other lender, an employer, whatever, that is reading/looking at what you've distributed to the world online, that entity can put any variety of spin on a denial if if doesn't like what it sees in you...a lack of character, irresponsibility, etc.

Sorry, it's not just your FB friends that see you.   You are holding yourself out to the world for judgement with the particulars (usually, crap) that you, yourself post.

Message 42 of 59
WunderCard
Established Member

This seems relevant...  

I received the notice below on the last page of my April AMEX statement.  Did you guys get this too?  Notice the part underlined in red.  Peaking at your publicly posted employment history would seem to fall under the "any other sources" part of "investigating your abiiltiy to pay".  

Point is, you agreed to this kind of scrutiny when you accepted the card.  Make your acct private if you don't want them snooping!

Message 43 of 59
CreditHammer

@WunderCard wrote:

This seems relevant...  

I received the notice below on the last page of my April AMEX statement.  Did you guys get this too?  Notice the part underlined in red.  Peaking at your publicly posted employment history would seem to fall under the "any other sources" part of "investigating your abiiltiy to pay".  

Point is, you agreed to this kind of scrutiny when you accepted the card.  Make your acct private if you don't want them snooping!

Looks pretty cut and dry to me.. If you agree to it then they can do it.. Simple as that i suppose.. Although i still dont agree with it, if you app for the card then you're agreeing to the terms of service in the cardmemeber agreement.. and it looks like you're agreeing to them being able to look at you from "all angles"

Message 44 of 59
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Maybe the analyst just thought you sounded attractive
Message 45 of 59
toppers555
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Maybe the analyst just thought you sounded attractive

She would not have been let down then. Smiley Wink  But I appiled for the cli via online button. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 46 of 59
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

I'm changing my public LinkedIn profile to say I'm a unemployed rodeo clown without a high school diploma.

Do you think Amex will AA me?

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 47 of 59
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Anyone brave enough to call Amex and ask what "other sources" means and get some concrete examples?

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 48 of 59
CreditHammer

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Anyone brave enough to call Amex and ask what "other sources" means and get some concrete examples?

Good idea but i doubt Amex would actually say they search Social Networking sites ike LinkedIn and Facebook.. They'll probably give the standard answer thats generated from their computer..

Message 49 of 59
chan85
Established Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I'm changing my public LinkedIn profile to say I'm a unemployed rodeo clown without a high school diploma.

Do you think Amex will AA me?

I see a 3x increase in your future! Smiley Wink

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 50 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.