Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex spying on my Linkedin

tag
samset93

Re: Amex spying on my Linkedin

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@CreditHammer wrote:

It was either a coincidence or the analyst was breaking some pretty major laws! Maybe call Amex back and ask for the name of the Analyst who helped you yesterday and see if it was the same person who looked at your linkedin?

This ^^^^^^

Absolutely make a fuss about it. He could have ran your name on his own but he is part of AMEX's domain.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. He saw the request on AMEX's system and one reason or another became interested in looking up your name. I imagine there is some kind of non-disclosure agreement between Amex and their employees who have access to SSN, DOB, name, address, etc of ccholders and if there is and if this was the case (looking up your name on his own time for his own interest) the analyst is breaking an agreement.

*But again this is just another possibility, it might just be a common practice by Amex to analyze credit risks.

Cap One Journey .5k auto CLI to .75k | Chase Freedom 1k | BestBuy Store Card 1.2k | MSU Federal Credit Union Visa 4k | Discover IT-Student 1k auto CLI to 1.3k | Amex BCE 2k CLI to 6k | CSP 5k
Message 11 of 59
CreditHammer

I looked it up and the law isn't crystal clear on the matter but this what I found and hopefully will shed some light!

Apparently they can look at your social networking sites if they are marked public and use what they see to make a decision on your application. However, most companies have steered away from this as the creditor must be able to provide evidence that the "visit" was for business use only.. So, if a customer service rep gets Suzie Smith on the phone calling into make a phone payment and the rep thinks she sounds cute and goes to her facebook page to check out what she looks like, then the rep can be fired and the company can be sued for harassment.. BUT, if the she calls in for a CLI and the analyst goes to her page then that looks like a more legitimate reason for the company to be on her page since she is calling in for more credit.. So, if the person wanted to they could fight it.. but the company better have pretty good reason to be on her social networking page..

That’s the information that I came away with.. hope this helps!

Message 12 of 59
john398
Senior Contributor

Sounds a little 'stalkish' to me

Message 13 of 59
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

A little creepy too I would think they have more tangible data to rely on then using social media.
Message 14 of 59
Drew
Frequent Contributor

What's your LinkedIn name op? I'll get to the bottom of this.

Message 15 of 59
chan85
Established Contributor

@CreditHammer wrote:

I looked it up and the law isn't crystal clear on the matter but this what I found and hopefully will shed some light!

Apparently they can look at your social networking sites if they are marked public and use what they see to make a decision on your application. However, most companies have steered away from this as the creditor must be able to provide evidence that the "visit" was for business use only.. So, if a customer service rep gets Suzie Smith on the phone calling into make a phone payment and the rep thinks she sounds cute and goes to her facebook page to check out what she looks like, then the rep can be fired and the company can be sued for harassment.. BUT, if the she calls in for a CLI and the analyst goes to her page then that looks like a more legitimate reason for the company to be on her page since she is calling in for more credit.. So, if the person wanted to they could fight it.. but the company better have pretty good reason to be on her social networking page..

That’s the information that I came away with.. hope this helps!

I work for a diff CC company, and I have seen where the credit analysts will go and check linked in when customers are requesting a CLI and document on our internal notes that based on linked in profile customer is a "insert profession here" and then "avg salary is typically x for this positions", and include whatever info they found on review of your credit file if they see fit, followed by approval or denial of CLI.

Basically it looks to me like they are making sure you are capable of handling the increase. So if you lie and say you make 200k a year and you are an astronaut, and then they look at your profile and it says you are "actively seeking employment" and your last job was the fry line guy at Wendy's, they probably won't give you that CLI.....Smiley Very Happy

I think you are fine. I wouldn't sweat it. If I were you and that concerned about people or companies looking at my profile, maybe set it to private so they can only view it if you are connected?

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 16 of 59
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Just one more reason NOT to use social media!  What YOU don't know (about your privacy or lack thereof) CAN hurt you.

--Proud to NOT be a member of Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace,Twitter...whathaveyou...!

Message 17 of 59
toppers555
Established Contributor

Nah I am not really that concerned. Was more or less just am interesting thing that happen. As a programmer I am use to having random ppl review my LinkedIn

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 18 of 59
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

I don't see why Amex has the need to look at a person's profile for any given reason before giving a decision. They've operated for years without it before social networks were prevalent. So yes, should you get denied, I would look to that as part of the reason, regardless of what they say.

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 59
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.