Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex third card question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex third card question

So I applied & was automatically approved for the HHonors on 1/25/17 and for the Delta Gold on 1/26/17. Now I decided I would like to add one more card to my collection with Amex - the BCE. I applied and my application was cancelled.

"The reason for our decision is that you have reached the maximum number and type of Cards that we will approve within the period of a few months"

What would "a few months" be? I think I read 60 days on here somewhere. 3/28 marks my 61st day on which I will attempt 3x CLI with my Delta Gold. Can I reapply for a third card after I get my 61 day CLI?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex third card question

I believe the policy is no more than 2 cards in a 90 day period.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just had the same denial reason. I asked a rep in chat if I would have an issue applying for another 2 cards the same day and I was assured it would not be a problem. Sure enough, the reason for the cancellation is too many cards "in a few months" whatever that means. I really wanted the 70K signup for these 2 SPG that was going on.

Message 3 of 8
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

I applied for 3 Amex cc's in one night...approved for BCE and Delta Gold, denied SPG due to same, I was told only 2 cards in 90 days...

Message 4 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

you may figure out the minimum amount of time two get the next card but with prime lenders its best to wait at least 6 months between APP's so you lessen the chance of getting a low SL and doomed to a slow growing CL's afterwards, cards with a 1k limit grow much slower than cards with a 5k limit or more, at least that is what I have found. Getting the low limit SL probably also lowers your internal score, which determines  auto-cli and CLI's in general.  

Patence is a virtue in the credit world. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 8
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I applied for and was instantly approved for 3 cards in April of last year. Two of them were charge cards though so I wonder if thats why they all went through?

Message 6 of 8
kidink1911
Established Contributor

AMEX has their own rules:

3/1- Approved for AMEX Green

3/7- Approved for AMEX Delta Skymiles

3/15- Approved for AMEX BCE

And the CSR told me I could apply for up to four cards during the first 90 days so there is no rhyme or reason to AMEX's process.

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I gather on another forum and seen posted here, their policy is no more than 2 cards in 90 days BUT you can do 2 charge and 2 revolvers in 90 days.  Amex will not approve 3 revolvers in a 90 day span but you will see 2 revolvers and a charge card or 2 charge cards.   

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.