cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex tracking me with soft pulls.. and I'm not a member!

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

Amex tracking me with soft pulls.. and I'm not a member!

On my latest TU report, I see soft pulls every month from Amex for like the last six months. You'd think I have a card with them, but I don't! What gives? Also, do you think I could call them up and apply for a card, and ask them to use all the pulls they already have? Smiley Happy

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Re: Amex tracking me with soft pulls.. and I'm not a member!

Creditors do SP to find out info about you. It's often used to send you offers. Amex had been sp me for ages, didn't have a card with them. On Mon I app ' d & got BCE. Have they sent you any offers? They constantly do me.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 2 of 24
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

On my latest TU report, I see soft pulls every month from Amex for like the last six months. You'd think I have a card with them, but I don't! What gives? Also, do you think I could call them up and apply for a card, and ask them to use all the pulls they already have? Smiley Happy

They were doing SP's on me too for about 6-7 months. I started getting mailers about 3 months ago and emails this last month (although I did sign up for those on the pre-qualify website).  I just apped for one the offers I received in the mail a month ago.  

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 24
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Goes to prove that creditors don't need your social security number to pull your credit. 

I get SPed all the time by creditors.  Even if your CR is locked they can still soft pull you.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 4 of 24
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

Goes to prove that creditors don't need your social security number to pull your credit. 

I get SPed all the time by creditors.  Even if your CR is locked they can still soft pull you.

They can't SP for marketing purposes if you are opted out.

I can't check pre approvals even with banks I already have an account with, because I'm opted out.

opted out = no soft pulls except by banks you have open accounts with and only for the purpose of monitoring the open account.

Report frozen = no hard pulls.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 5 of 24
ethan17debttackler
Regular Contributor

Dumb question: how does one know they are SPing? Other than an actual CR from the big 3, is there a way of monitoring who SPs you?

>

Message 6 of 24
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@ethan17debttackler wrote:

Dumb question: how does one know they are SPing? Other than an actual CR from the big 3, is there a way of monitoring who SPs you?

You have to check it in a credit report obtained directly from the reporting agencies - so either reports bought directly from EX/EQ/TU OR reports from annualcreditreport.com, which provide you with direct access to the CRAs. Reports obtained from third-parties (such as MyFiCO even) do not show soft pulls.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 7 of 24
ethan17debttackler
Regular Contributor

Yeah, figured. Thanks for info.

>

Message 8 of 24
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Whwn you obtain your free EX report, note down its report number. You can "view report again" from the Experian site; it refreshes all the info. So you can see your SPs for a long time (six months or so).

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 9 of 24
ethan17debttackler
Regular Contributor

@Mallak - Done. Got current report based on my free EX CR picked up a few months ago. Golden advice...thanks!

@Bman70 - sorry man, didn't mean to hijack thread.... With Amex SPing you, you must have a pretty good CR. Kudos to you.

>

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.