Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex turning out to be favorite

tag
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex turning out to be favorite

My only turn off with my AMEX BCE is how long rewards take to post.

It's been 2 months since I opened the account up, and I'm just now getting my cashback.

Also it doesn't look like I got cashback for shopping and Krogers and Gas stations or maybe it's gonna take longer to post.

I got about $15 bucks cash back, just with my Blispay in 2 weeks I'm already surpassed the $15 bucks in rewards from BCE.

Now my Delta Gold I like the best.

Message 31 of 43
sr383
Regular Contributor

The Kroger might be categorized as a superstore, which would mean only 1% back. I think there ARE Kroger grocery stores, but not all are coded that way.

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 32 of 43
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

Ahh maybe thats it.

Well all the less reason for me to use my BCE.

Blispay gets me 2% on everything, Marvel gets me 3% on restaurants.
Maybe on department stores it can still excel.
Message 33 of 43
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

I'm agreed on all the AMEX love here. Honestly my PRG has become my favorite card in my wallet. The rewards structure is fantastic for my spend patterns, and I love the level of service and protection I get because of it. 

One thing I saw briefly mentioned in this thread was AMEX's track record in disputes. They tend to always back the card member, and side with them in disputes. I use them on large or risky purchases, even if I could earn better rewards with other cards, simply for the piece of mind that if I should need to dispute said charge, I'll have a better shot at winning with AMEX than any other card. 

+1 on the flexibility of the MR points program too, even though I will probably only use mine for Delta flights (I'm partial to them. 100% my favorite airline and the only way I'll fly.)

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is my least favorite card, and I'll tell you why.

First, I'm just using my Amex for the welcome bonuses, maybe get the 3x CLI, then it's straight to retirement with the occasional dollar menu purchase to keep the card "active."

Even after 3% back (or 6% back with the BCP) on acceptable grocery store purchases, items are still way more expensive compared to buying the identical item at Walmart, Target or Costco.

As one example, and there are plenty of others (every comparable item, practically), paying $3.50 for a cereal box at Walmart or Target with a 2% card is way cheaper ($3.43) than a $4.5 cereal box at an acceptable grocery store with the 3% BCE and even 6% BCP ($4.37 and $4.23 respectively).

In that example, Amex would need to offer 24% cash back to be better than using a 2% card at the cheaper priced megastores.

Lastly, the $25 redemption increments is very inconvenient (if you have $48, you can only redeem $25 for statement credit or wait until you earn $2 in rewards to redeem $50).

Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex is my least favorite card, and I'll tell you why.

First, I'm just using my Amex for the welcome bonuses, maybe get the 3x CLI, then it's straight to retirement with the occasional dollar menu purchase to keep the card "active."

Even after 3% back (or 6% back with the BCP) on acceptable grocery store purchases, items are still way more expensive compared to buying the identical item at Walmart, Target or Costco.

As one example, and there are plenty of others (every comparable item, practically), paying $3.50 for a cereal box at Walmart or Target with a 2% card is way cheaper ($3.43) than a $4.5 cereal box at an acceptable grocery store with the 3% BCE and even 6% BCP ($4.37 and $4.23 respectively).

In that example, Amex would need to offer 24% cash back to be better than using a 2% card at the cheaper priced megastores.

Lastly, the $25 redemption increments is very inconvenient (if you have $48, you can only redeem $25 for statement credit or wait until you earn $2 in rewards to redeem $50).

That is a large price difference for the same box of cereal. Walmart is "cheaper" (supposedly) in general, but I don't think you're grabbing the same box of cereal in that example Smiley LOL Either that or you're comparing 12oz Great Value cereal with a box family size box of Frosted Flakes from Whole Foods lol!

As for the redemption, some people want it immediately and some let is add up. Depends on the type of person I guess Smiley Tongue

Message 36 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Um? ^^
I can get normal shampoo at Walmart or HEB (a Texas grocer that competes with Walmart) for around $3. That same crap is $6 at a place like Randall's but if you have your little card then it's $4.50... Yeah. Some deal! I will take cards like the sallie mae that are flexible!
Message 37 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

EDP!

i am a swiping fool, I'm up to 20 swipes and 10 days left to get 30!

I'm at 26 swipes, 4 swipes left, by the 26th...

Message 38 of 43
NattyPButter
Contributor

glad I saw this this thread. I wanted to apply for the Blu Cash preferred card but if it can't be used at Krogers it's useless. I only shop at Krogers, Walart, and Costco. I don't shop anywhere else for groceries since the other places are to far away or way to expensive. I really wanted an Amex card but all their cards seem useless compared to other offerings out their. American Express really needs to step their game up. 

Message 39 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx reads Kroger as Grocery Store. I don't think Walmart is considered grocery store by them. Not sure about Cosco.

@NattyPButter wrote:

glad I saw this this thread. I wanted to apply for the Blu Cash preferred card but if it can't be used at Krogers it's useless. I only shop at Krogers, Walart, and Costco. I don't shop anywhere else for groceries since the other places are to far away or way to expensive. I really wanted an Amex card but all their cards seem useless compared to other offerings out their. American Express really needs to step their game up. 

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.