Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex upgrades

tag
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Amex upgrades

I opened an Amex PRG and an Amex personal Delta gold card back in March, and was pleased to finally be an Amex customer. Since then, I haven’t used the Delta card much, but have averaged $1500 monthly spending on the PRG, with no late payments or other problems.

I just passed the 6-month mark with both accounts and wasn’t expecting to see any upgrade offers until after a year or so passed. I logged into the site today, and was greeted with a pop-up window, for the first time ever, offering me an upgrade to the Delta card from the personal gold version to the biz platinum version. The offer included a statement credit of $100 to offset the annual fee difference in the first year.

When I clicked to accept the offer, I received an error message that said something about an error having occurred and to call Amex for further assistance.

Has anything changed with Amex not doing upgrades in year 1, or was this just a bug? I hit 6 months with them 2 days ago and the most recent payment clearing my PRG balance from last month showed in the balance this morning.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ohreally7654
Established Contributor

Re: Amex upgrades

OP, I had the same thing happen to me when I attempted to upgrade one of my Amex cards before the one year mark. It was rather annoying that they presented it to me as a legitimate offer when I logged into my account, only to receive that error! When I called in and talked with Amex, that was the only reason for being declined for the upgrade: I've not yet had my account open for a year. I asked them why, then, was there an offer for me to do so? Of course, they couldn't tell me! Smiley Mad

Started rebuilding 8/2015. Current Fico 8 Scores 9/17: TU FICO: 698 (from 646 3/15/16) | EX FICO: 689 (from 617 3/15/16) | EQ FICO: 670 (from 614 3/15/16). Discover Miles: $10K | Amex PRG | Amex BCE $2K | Amex SPG $2K | Citi Aadvantage $7K | JetBlue Plus MC $3.9K | Walmart MC $3.5K | Marvel MC $5K | NFCU CashRewards $15K | CareCredit $12K | PenFed Amex $9K | USAA Limitless Visa Sig $6K | NFCU goRewards $20K | NFCU Amex $10.4K | NavCheck $13.5K | Blispay $4K | QS $9.5K | Pier 1 $21.1K | RH $20.7K | JCrew $16.8K | Wayfair $4.9K | Pottery Barn $19.5K | Discover IT $4.1K | Nord. Visa Sig $22K | USAA Visa Plat $2.5K | Neiman Marcus $6.4k | Amex Delta Reserve $1k | Saks $15K | VS $2.2K | Target $1K | Macy's $25K | Bloomies Amex $25K| West Elm $12.4K | PP Credit (Comenity) $4.4K
Message 2 of 10
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Ok, so that clears that up 😄

At least I’m halfway there now...
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a sitewide bug. I received the same offer and I don't even have a Delta Gold, but a PRG. If I clicked through the offer it erred out.

Message 4 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

With the CARD Act, you wouldn't be eligible to product change to a card with a higher annual fee.  I'm confused about upgrading from a personal to a business card, though.  I didn't think that was allowed, bug or no bug.

Message 5 of 10
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a sitewide bug. I received the same offer and I don't even have a Delta Gold, but a PRG. If I clicked through the offer it erred out.

Same for me! And, I also don't have the Delta Gold, but a PRG and Plat.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Imagine how I feel! I logged in to a message welcoming me to the benefits of Centurion before I got the error message on the Centurion website! :'(
Message 7 of 10
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

I’ll be looking forward to that Centurion message! 😂
Message 8 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Imagine how I feel! I logged in to a message welcoming me to the benefits of Centurion before I got the error message on the Centurion website! :'(

Now that's just cruel. Please tell me you dialed the extension of a coworker to get help logging in? Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that's just cruel. Please tell me you dialed the extension of a coworker to get help logging in? Smiley Wink

+1

@Anonymous, I know you're not with them anymore but if it were me I would be tempted to pull out the old rolodex and make some calls over that one!  Smiley Tongue  smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.