Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex very quick to pay out referral bonuses

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex very quick to pay out referral bonuses

I know it’s often a topic about how long some creditors, specifically Chase, takes to pay out bonuses for when you refer customers to them but Amex seems to be very different.

Sent a referral on Saturday afternoon to a friend of my g/f for the business SPG 35K offer.  He applied and was instantly approved.  The 7500 point referral bonus posted to my SPG account yesterday afternoon.  Very easy $200+ referral.  Too bad all creditors aren’t that quick to follow thru with referral bonuses.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex very quick to pay out referral bonuses

@Anonymouswrote:

I know it’s often a topic about how long some creditors, specifically Chase, takes to pay out bonuses for when you refer customers to them but Amex seems to be very different.

Sent a referral on Saturday afternoon to a friend of my g/f for the business SPG 35K offer.  He applied and was instantly approved.  The 7500 point referral bonus posted to my SPG account yesterday afternoon.  Very easy $200+ referral.  Too bad all creditors aren’t that quick to follow thru with referral bonuses.

The refer bonus for my Hyatt card posted within days. 

Nobody should be surprised if banks are slow to move or give you money... It's how they operate. They don't really want to pay you, so they make sure they have a while to lend the money out first in hopes of making a profit before actually giving you the signup bonus. 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I referred my mom on Saturday in less than a week the 10k point bonus was in my account.  

Message 3 of 13
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Discover is also pretty quick. It hits your account instantly but it’s not available until your next statement cuts. I confirmed with disco about my bonus 3 days after my fiancé used my link and was approved.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactorwrote:
Discover is also pretty quick. It hits your account instantly but it’s not available until your next statement cuts. I confirmed with disco about my bonus 3 days after my fiancé used my link and was approved.

Thanks for sharing.  Good info

Message 5 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Oh Amex, you have such weird timing. Smiley LOL

Yes, I've received referral bonuses within a few days, and retention/signup bonuses, Amex offers and airline credits as soon as charges are no longer pending.  But the MRs from charges still don't get credited until the day after the statement closes the month after the statement that the charges actually appeared on.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactorwrote:

I can confirm this one as well.  

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Shadowfactorwrote:

I can confirm this one as well.  

I didn't know Discover had a referral program, what do you get?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

The refer bonus for my Hyatt card posted within days. 

Nobody should be surprised if banks are slow to move or give you money... It's how they operate. They don't really want to pay you, so they make sure they have a while to lend the money out first in hopes of making a profit before actually giving you the signup bonus. 

That is good to know.  I just referred my wife to Hyatt last week and want my 10k points.  Well and then her 40k points.  Then I have to figure out where to spend my 100k points. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

The problem with Amex referrals is most of the sign up bonuses your friend gets are less than they would get if they just went to Amex site themselves.  The 35k SPG business offer seems to be the same though.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.