Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex wants a 4506T!

tag
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex wants a 4506T!

As a 33 year AMEX card holder my advice to you would be, SLOW DOWN.  There is no consumer company that values long term relationships more than American Express.  They are the ultimate tortoise company, slow and steady wins the race with them.  At your age and income level AMEX is not going to give you anything close to $22,500, in fact $7,500 is a very healthy CL at your stage.  I would sit tight for awhile, keep your credit clean and perhaps next year ask for an increase to $12,000 or so.  You have a lifetime to get higher credit lines if you need them.  Chasing high credit lines just for the sport and in an attempt to improve your FICO is usually self defeating.  Keep your life simple at this point.

Message 11 of 16
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

As a 33 year AMEX card holder my advice to you would be, SLOW DOWN.  There is no consumer company that values long term relationships more than American Express.  They are the ultimate tortoise company, slow and steady wins the race with them.  At your age and income level AMEX is not going to give you anything close to $22,500, in fact $7,500 is a very healthy CL at your stage.  I would sit tight for awhile, keep your credit clean and perhaps next year ask for an increase to $12,000 or so.  You have a lifetime to get higher credit lines if you need them.  Chasing high credit lines just for the sport and in an attempt to improve your FICO is usually self defeating.  Keep your life simple at this point.

+1....Very well stated !

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 12 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SisterGirl wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

+1....Very well stated !

SisterGirl

+2 Exactly.

Message 13 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with Watchman. Even if you lowered your request to $10k they will probably ask for a 4506T. IMO, I would wait until your taxes would indicate a figure much closer to the income on your app. Don't be surprised if they ask then
Message 14 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

There was one poster who requested a lower amount and got it instantly. They prob are just concerned w you having too high of a limit.
The reality though is that even if you have an entry level income, you can still charge $10-20k a year on ccs if you are diligent with using and paying in full.
Amex likes pif and not too much bal revolvinf.
Have you been revolving a bal w Amex or high util with other creditors?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+3 at watchman. Credit seeking for fun alarms creditors and you might end up with no credit. I'm 24 and I got too much too fast, and now Ive cut my own lines, and creditors like Chiti closed my account for just having too much credit- not even using it heh
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.