cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex wants my taxes returns on my Fiancé's card???

tag
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex wants my taxes returns on my Fiancé's card???

Not sure if you have this one already, but the Chase Ink Bold is a great business credit card.  Much better rewards than the Zync if you're looking for a card to run business expenses through.

Message 11 of 31
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Amex does not like biz purchases going through a personal card. They shut my Green down for doing that.

Message 12 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@nada9188 wrote:
Wow pinheads. Seems to be a little different than the experience than others have here.

Unless I missed something, it isn't your account so they would not be requesting your taxes.

I'm pretty sure it is against the t&c's to put business charges on a personal card

I looked at the Amex T&Cs and don't see anything about using it for business expenses. In my experience Amex expects you to use it that way. Back when I was working all the sales guys used it for travel and biz lunches and got re-imbursed by our company.

I've heard that they don't allow you to use it to buy stuff with businesses you own but I think that is covered in the business/amex merchant agreement.

Just a note: My single largest purchase, by phone and 5 times my previous largest purchase and over 20k, was for specialized tech equip that is almost always bought BtoB. I did this about 4 months after opening my card.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 13 of 31
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

I believe you that it is not in the terms and conditions. I feel like I have seen it somewhere, I'll do some research tomorrow.

Using your card at your business is a huge no no. I have heard that if they catch you doing that they will either immediately shut down the account or do a FR.
Message 14 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@nada9188 wrote:
I believe you that it is not in the terms and conditions. I feel like I have seen it somewhere, I'll do some research tomorrow.

Using your card at your business is a huge no no. I have heard that if they catch you doing that they will either immediately shut down the account or do a FR.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's against the merchant agreement for all issuers. Even so it seems o be a popular, if fraudulent, mechanism owners have sometimes used for, er, cash flow.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 15 of 31
Ron1
Super Contributor

Amex F/R is not new. I have seen their accounts suspended or closed when the accounts were new. They don't like people putting business charges to their personal cards. It has been discussed here. 

Ron.

Message 16 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I think a very high percentage of big spenders are big spenders because they are on an expense account. I can't imagine Amex would discourage that kind of spend or insist that the execs get a biz card.

Message 17 of 31
Ron1
Super Contributor

That's why they have biz cards or corp cards.

Ron.

Message 18 of 31
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

I think a very high percentage of big spenders are big spenders because they are on an expense account. I can't imagine Amex would discourage that kind of spend or insist that the execs get a biz card.

Of course this OP took it to another level, it wasn't his card, he was only an AU/additional card member. And he most likely spent more than the primary (another red flag) and the card was probably being charged for more than the primary card holder earned in a month (another red flag)  leaving AMEX in a very awkward position if the AU defaulted on his purchases. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 19 of 31
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

Of course this OP took it to another level, it wasn't his card, he was only an AU/additional card member. And he most likely spent more than the primary (another red flag) and the card was probably being charged for more than the primary card holder earned in a month (another red flag)  leaving AMEX in a very awkward position if the AU defaulted on his purchases. 

+1.

Amex did exactly what they were supposed to. Now his financee has two options: comply with the request or get shut down. I don't blame them one bit.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.