cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex wants my taxes returns on my Fiancé's card???

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex wants my taxes returns on my Fiancé's card???

@Ron1 wrote:

That's why they have biz cards or corp cards.

Ron.

I suppose. Before I retired our company had a corporate Visa, but not an Amex. Most of the sales staff would use their personal Amex and get re-imbursed on the expense accounst. Exec VPs loved flashing their Amexs. They generally had Amexes before they were hired and likely kept them after they left. That damn corporate visa is one of the reasons I lost my credit history. I would use it to rent cars or hotel rooms but pay with a debit card if the usage was personal. I let my own credit cards go unused and they were eventually canceled or not renewed. Had to give up the Visa when I retired.  Lived on debit for over a decade.

I hope Amex is good about biz expenses. Even though I'm retired the bulk of my purchases, aside from restaurants, are ones that are 99% between businesses. Since I'm retired my spend pattern must be extremely unusual. But no hiccups.

Yet.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 21 of 31
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I don't think AMEX has a problem with you using you AMEX for business purchases if you work for someone and get reimbursed

i believe the issue comes when you own your own business and use a personal AMEX to purchase things like inventory and product for resale

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 22 of 31
tubesock
Frequent Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

I don't think AMEX has a problem with you using you AMEX for business purchases if you work for someone and get reimbursed

i believe the issue comes when you own your own business and use a personal AMEX to purchase things like inventory and product for resale

+1

FicoTU 780 | Credit Karma 781 | Credit Sesame 780
EQ 673 Dec2011 | Current: 695 Nov2013 | Goal: 720+
UTL: 54% Dec2011 | Current UTL: 21% | Goal UTL: 0% June2014
AmxZync | CapOne 1k | Comenity 1.1k | Target 3k |NFCU Visasig 5k | Goodyear 5.8k | CitiSimplicity 10.2k
Sam'sClub 10k | AmxSpg 20k | Citi HiltonReserve 20k | DCU 20k | Chase RR Visasig 25k | NFCU Visasig 33k
Message 23 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Makes sense. Financing your company's inventory with your personal CC is high risk. I've not seen people do that but it clearly wouldn't be something Amex or anyone else would want to encourage.

EttoA:

Of course being retired my purchases must look a tad odd.....

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 24 of 31
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

There is a reason why people want to put business purchases on personal CC. You get credit card protection from personal card, backed by federal law. Business CC is not subjected under federal law and there was an intense debate between CC issuers and Congress back then for allowing so many people getting business CC.

You CAN use your personal CC for business purchase, just don't do it with AMEX.

Message 25 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

There is a reason why people want to put business purchases on personal CC. You get credit card protection from personal card, backed by federal law. Business CC is not subjected under federal law and there was an intense debate between CC issuers and Congress back then for allowing so many people getting business CC.

You CAN use your personal CC for business purchase, just don't do it with AMEX.

Could be that being "retired" any purchase one makes, even from companies that sell to other companies, is safe.

Message 26 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think it would be weird if my husband spent more than me on our amex. I charge work stuff and he charges gas and restaurants.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 27 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

That's what I am going to do pay it off and move on. I have a 30 k card that has never once complicated about what I charge or how much. Amex lost my business for life all I did was spend and pay like a good consumer should. I don't want to have to worry about if I am going to get fraud because I charged a certain amount If i wanna charge 29,000 dollar on my other card in one month i can I know because i have done it and PIF and you know what no one complained about it.  

As stated, This isn't your account and your credit so if to be wife was on a NPSL with internal around $1500 and AUTH calling in saying he is going to start charging business expenses (Now I really don't think it needs to be so crazy that Amex will get very upset and what not for using personal to pay business... Pretty sure that is how we got Dell or one of those computers, out of his garage on his Amex around $25k.

Anyway, Her credit may not be as steller or maybe not the income... who knows but either way saying you have $30k card and have never had ANY issues so you will never do business with Amex agian... If you applied and put in your name, you might actually experience "You don't have any issues ever!"

Message 28 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My spending on the card is 76% of total spend.
His is 24%

Ytd spend is 25452
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 29 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

The only thing I find unusual about what happened to op is that they are asking from his tax transcript as au.  The red flags this guy triggered makes a f/r no surprise.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.