cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex wants to give me the "Black Card" --Go figure!

tag
Debtrecycler
Established Member

Amex wants to give me the "Black Card" --Go figure!

I have been rebuilding my credit for the past two years.  During that time, I have not used my Capital One or my Wamu cards (the only "Credit Cards" I have)  What I do use is my Amex "Charge" card (pay in full each month--even though they will allow you to carry some balances)  Anyway, I have charged quite a bit on it each month during this process and the card went from the Gold to Plat and now they want to give me the  Black card.  My credit scores are far from stellar. 

After reading all of the posts on Amex here and how they have cut credit lines for good, dependable paying credit card customers, I am now convinced that Amex is inching its way towards getting out of the "credit card" business and going to back to its roots with charge cards.   I must say, Amex has treated me very well over the many years I have been a customer.  

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex wants to give me the "Black Card" --Go figure!

I'm curious, how much money a month do you run through your charge card. Maybe they stopped the mandatory $250,000 a month requirement.

Here we go again...
Message 2 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

well, glad they have been a good pick for you.  keep up the good work and your scores are sure to follow!  as far as amex "giving" you the black card- at 2500 AF or whatever it is, it's one expensive gift! (i can't remember now the black AF but it is up ther')

if you're interested make sure you quantify the cost benefit of the card.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 19
Debtrecycler
Established Member

I have heard about the $250,000--but I thought that was an annual amount.  I run an average of 15-20K through each month which would put me right around that 250K annual mark.  As for "accepting" I really question whether or not it is worth the annual fee.  But...have to admit it is rather cool looking Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Congrats on the offer you received. How did you know about it? Did email or called you or send you a letter? May be next year, I'll look into upgrading my Plum Card to Black Card.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are quite lucky.  If they want to give it to you, I'd take it now before they change procedures.  I carry less than 2% on eight cards with over $150K open CL's - Amex told me that I would have to authorize them to review my income tax transcripts before allowing me any type of further increase.... and I have held an Amex in good standing since 1987!
Message Edited by prettykitty on 03-17-2009 02:20 PM
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you using American Express gold as personal or were you using the Gold business card?
Message 7 of 19
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

I really hate to ask such a silly question especially since I should already know what I am about to ask but........ I don't so I was wondering what is the difference between a AMEX charge card and AMEX credit card? I thought they were all the same.
Message 8 of 19
settleordelete
Regular Contributor

Is'nt the annual fee suppose to cover the default insurance fees which inturn covers their lawyer fees when they take you to court and sue you for that $250K.But keep up the good work.
I've been where you are trying to go and I don't wanna go back.
Message 9 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

2 things. okay 3 things!

Like someone else said if they are offering it to you I would take it!!

then to other posters:

you only get the chance of being offered the black card if you are a platinum charge card holder (personal or business)

you can upgrade from any card to black, it's by invitation only.

Again super congrats on the offer, I think it's 5k to accept and 2500 annually to keep, so $7500 to get it in hand for the first year, correct me if I'm wrong though. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.