Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Amex wants to give me the "Black Card" --Go figure!

shalane85 wrote:
I really hate to ask such a silly question especially since I should already know what I am about to ask but........ I don't so I was wondering what is the difference between a AMEX charge card and AMEX credit card? I thought they were all the same.
a credit card has a credit line and you can carry a balance up to that limit and pay an interest rate for that balance.
a charge card you have 30 days to pay the full amount due each month. 

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Established Member
Debtrecycler

To answer your question--I have had a Platinum Amex (Personal not business); again this is the charge card and not the credit card.  
Regular Contributor
Mark_in_Pasadena

Debtrecycler wrote:
To answer your question--I have had a Platinum Amex (Personal not business); again this is the charge card and not the credit card.  

What benefits will you get from the Black card that you don't already get from the Platinum AMEX that will make it worth the foolish fee they charge?

The AMEX Black card is their version of the "I'm Rich" app that was available for the iPhone for $999 which did absolutely nothing: Moron: Guy Buys $999 I'm Rich App, Discovers He's Just Dumb .

kulin

do you refer to that black card with $495 year fee?:smileyindifferent:
EQ: 672 (Dec 3 /08) 706 (March 4 /09) 692 (Mar 14)
Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

kulin wrote:
do you refer to that black card with $495 year fee?:smileyindifferent:

kulin, the AMEX card being referred to is the Centurion card, commonly known as the Black card.

VISA has hijacked the Black Card moniker for their own flavor of prestige card, and that's the one with the $495 annual fee.

Two different animals entirely. 

Frequent Contributor
LisaJ

I don't know...kudos to you for being offered this prestigious honor, however, given recent treatment of good customers (not myself by all means, but...) by AMEX, I don't know if I would take it even if they paid ME, much less would I pay them that much for the privilege.

I am not trying to be negative, I promise--just really leery of AMEX lately. Congrats for being such an awesome customer and getting the offer!

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

kulin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card

I just did a wiki,

this card is very rare, with an annual fee of 2500$ ?

One-time joining fee of US$ 5,000 ?

Oh

Established Contributor
Chopbrocoli

Debtreclyer, my business colleague holds a Centurion card and I used to hold a personal platinum charge and business gold charge card. A year ago, I had a nightmare with AMEX with 2 FR's, declined charges and etc despite my excellent credit history. My business colleague...the same, despite him having the Centurion card. Apparently no one can escape the dark shadow of AMEX regardless the excellent credit history or payment history with them. I would stay away from AMEX until the economy is flourishing.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
kulin

[ Edited ]

these're the fico scores taken in ..2000?

Message Edited by kulin on 03-19-2009 07:07 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}