Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex websit issue

tag
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex , Visa , MasterCard , Discover System breach

Run a malwarebytes scan (free download). See what turns up.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 11 of 24
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just tried to log on to amex account and this poped up

" We want to make you aware of a significant incident that has occurred. There was a massive system breach at global payment , a company that processes credit card transactions for visa , MasterCard , amex , discover and other major brands . Files containing personal credit card information were compromised . We are urging you to check your credit profile for any activity that you did not authorize "

Then at the bottom it give you a link to check your credit report for free .

That's clearly some kind of spam/phishing message.  A legit news item or message from a creditor would not have some sort of generalized comment like "a company that processes credit card transactions...".

This seems very similar to scare-ware used to try to scare people into buying virus protection, or something to speed up your computer system.  The most likely reason it pops up when you try logging into your Amex account is because you have some sort of keylogger or spyware on your system tracking what sites you are visiting.

If an incident like this were actually true, your CC providers would contact you by emal, text or normal mail (according to your account preferences), and it would be reported in legitimate news sources.  

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got webroot and nothing was detected . I called Amex and they said it could be some type of virus on their website and theyll call me back .

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got webroot and nothing was detected . I called Amex and they said it could be some type of virus on their website and theyll call me back .

I'd be very surprised if it is a virus on their website. That would be major news for a financial institution to have a virus on their website. The kind of news you don't see every year. Are you sure you used a correct link to the Amex website? Some phishing sites can look a lot like official websites. 

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Americanexpress.com . And it wasnt one of those dumb pop ups that look obvious . It was the normal americanexpress front page with a message at the top of the page .

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess, you typed the amex address wrong. This is a scam. That message doesn't even read like what a credit card company would release. "Massive breach" is not a term they would use. They would also have disabled your card if they thought it was compromised, they would not be directing you to a credit report site, you would be referred to amex own antifraud group.
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im telling it was americanexpress.com . What got was the front page looked exactly the same as usual . Its clear now that theres no type of "massive breach" or the CSR wouldv known about it .

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Im telling it was americanexpress.com . What got was the front page looked exactly the same as usual . Its clear now that theres no type of "massive breach" or the CSR wouldv known about it .

Fake sites look exactly like real ones. Malware on your computer could be causing the redirect to a website other than the one you typed in. Alternatively, you might have typed the address wrong once. The chance it was caused by a glitch on Amex's side is infinitely smaller than the chance it was caused by some issue from your side. If what happened to you had happened to me, the first thing I would do is change my Amex password and ask them for a new card numbers just to be safe. And do it from another computer to be safe. 

Also consider running a malware scanning program other than webroot. Malwarebytes mentioned earlier is a decent choice. Not all virus protection programs are very good at malware detection (not sure about webroot). 

Message 18 of 24
Tajonajo

http://www.slideshare.net/dgsweigert/data-breachamazonfakephisingdatabreachidentitytheft

the number called also was most likly not Amex. the link shows the site but used on Amazon phising site. =P

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex websit issue

@Tajonajo
That's the same exact message I got but it blended in with the amex front page .
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.