Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex will not let me pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex will not let me pay?

Ok guys, please don't get on my case too bad if this is common knowledge or is stated clearly somewhere and I missed it... 

I just got my BCE card and charged $41 and $140 over the course of 2 days. When the $41 charge posted, I paid it immediately. Now I have a balance of $140 that I would like to pay as well since I have the cash to do so in my bank. Well, I didn't have a problem at all making the 1st payment, but now when I click the make a payment button it will not let me make the subsequent $140 payment. It just keeps saying no payment due at this time. Well, I know there isn't a payment due as the statement closes 3/20 but I want to pay it now. Why will it not let me make a payment now, but would let me make a payment 2 days ago? And again, my apologies if this has been covered. I am just new to Amex and perhaps didn't understand the "rules"?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Re: Amex will not let me pay?

After the statement cuts, you won't have a problem making payments. You can make 1 payment per business day. Scheduled payments can be made up until the payment due date.
~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 2 of 19
dragontears
Senior Contributor

You can only make 1 payment in your first billing cycle. After your first statement you can pay multiple times, it is just a quirk of amex. Since amex takes 2-3 statements to report it really only matters if you have a low CL
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh geez, I wish I had known! I really don't want $140 posting to credit. I usually pay 2 times a month on all my cards so they are paid in full. I just use my cards for rewards points purposes only. I just find it odd they slipped up and let me pay the first $41 a couple of days ago. Oh well, live and learn, ya know?

Message 4 of 19
dragontears
Senior Contributor

It won't report, amex takes months before they start reporting
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for explaining that quirk to me. Not a real problem, just making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Again, thanks for letting me know!!

Message 6 of 19
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Oh geez!!  It's $140.... they let you pay the $41 because it was the first payment you've ever made on the account.  They limit the payments to make sure your pay from account is good to go and you don't try to pay and charge more and try to reverse the payment.  While $140 is pretty insignificant it's just going to report unless you send it from your bank's bill pay.  

After the statement closes you should be able to go into your account and make another payment for new charges.  You can always hit them up on chat and see if they'll process another payment or unlock it for you.  

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem. I do know that one or two days later, it let me pay. But I don't remember if the statement had cut between those days. If it did, that explains a lot!
Message 8 of 19
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok guys, please don't get on my case too bad if this is common knowledge or is stated clearly somewhere and I missed it... 

I just got my BCE card and charged $41 and $140 over the course of 2 days. When the $41 charge posted, I paid it immediately. Now I have a balance of $140 that I would like to pay as well since I have the cash to do so in my bank. Well, I didn't have a problem at all making the 1st payment, but now when I click the make a payment button it will not let me make the subsequent $140 payment. It just keeps saying no payment due at this time. Well, I know there isn't a payment due as the statement closes 3/20 but I want to pay it now. Why will it not let me make a payment now, but would let me make a payment 2 days ago? And again, my apologies if this has been covered. I am just new to Amex and perhaps didn't understand the "rules"?

The way around that is to use your banks bill pay option.  I was given that little tidbit on Amex Chat when I panicked about not being able to pay!
FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or just call and make a payment over the phone like I did 😎
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.