Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex will not let me pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex will not let me pay?

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh geez, I wish I had known! I really don't want $140 posting to credit. I usually pay 2 times a month on all my cards so they are paid in full. I just use my cards for rewards points purposes only. I just find it odd they slipped up and let me pay the first $41 a couple of days ago. Oh well, live and learn, ya know?

I ran into the same issue my first month with AMEX. What I did (for the first month) is "push" payments from online banking. Make a payment starting from the online banking site. It seems like it took an extra day or two compared to paying on the AMEX site, but it'll get that other $140 paid for you before the statement cuts.

As others have said, after the first month, it won't be an issue.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It has nothing to do with being the first statement. Any time you add a new funding bank account, you are under a 30 calendar day verification period where you can only pay up to the amount due plus one "pre-payment" in case you need to free up available credit. This will happen any time you add a new bank account. Calling AXP will not help as they cannot force the payment. Your only option is to have a payment be pushed by your bank or to mail in a cheque.
Message 12 of 19
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok guys, please don't get on my case too bad if this is common knowledge or is stated clearly somewhere and I missed it... 

I just got my BCE card and charged $41 and $140 over the course of 2 days. When the $41 charge posted, I paid it immediately. Now I have a balance of $140 that I would like to pay as well since I have the cash to do so in my bank. Well, I didn't have a problem at all making the 1st payment, but now when I click the make a payment button it will not let me make the subsequent $140 payment. It just keeps saying no payment due at this time. Well, I know there isn't a payment due as the statement closes 3/20 but I want to pay it now. Why will it not let me make a payment now, but would let me make a payment 2 days ago? And again, my apologies if this has been covered. I am just new to Amex and perhaps didn't understand the "rules"?

Two options cancel the payment and remake it for the whole amount or call/chat with them and have them do it for you. I did when I first got my Delta and it worked. Hope this helps!

Starting scores 12/1/15 EQ 601, TU 626, EX 601

Current Scores 9/17/17 EQ 686 TU 702 EX 655 Goal 700+ across
UTL 7%
Last Inq: 9/20/17
Message 13 of 19
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

If you really, really want to make an additional payment, you can force payment by entering Amex's payment info in your bank's bill pay and then issuing a payment from your bank to Amex.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you guys are overthinking it. On new accounts that don't report I would let statements hit with balances, and just pay when the payment is due. Amex wants their money back that is fine but to outsiders it looks like you have a new account that you arent using.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in the same boat. Amex rep confirmed you aren't allowed to make multiple payments using their payment tool within the first 30 days.

However, if you truly want to lower your balance before the 30 days you can simply submit an online bill payment via your bank account. The rep suggested this to me. I have citibank and I simply submitted an online payment to my amex account and the payment processed on Amex's end like normal!!

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is correct a payment push through your bank will hit the next day for the most part it's electronic. Some of my billers take five days through Chase and instantly through my credit union and vice versa but everyone pays American Express the next day
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok guys, please don't get on my case too bad if this is common knowledge or is stated clearly somewhere and I missed it... 

I just got my BCE card and charged $41 and $140 over the course of 2 days. When the $41 charge posted, I paid it immediately. Now I have a balance of $140 that I would like to pay as well since I have the cash to do so in my bank. Well, I didn't have a problem at all making the 1st payment, but now when I click the make a payment button it will not let me make the subsequent $140 payment. It just keeps saying no payment due at this time. Well, I know there isn't a payment due as the statement closes 3/20 but I want to pay it now. Why will it not let me make a payment now, but would let me make a payment 2 days ago? And again, my apologies if this has been covered. I am just new to Amex and perhaps didn't understand the "rules"?

I just had the same experience with my Everyday card. I used the Customer Service chat and was told to push the payment from bank's bill pay. After 30 days (verifying your account), it should be good to go.

Message 18 of 19
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

As has been said, you would need to push a payment from your bank (alternately, you could phone in a payment or mail in a check).   AMEX only allows one payment during the first billing cycle, which is good to know if you're trying to optimize your UTIL.   However, your scores don't have a memory, so you can always wait until the next statement period to bring your balance to where you need it.   And as others have said, AMEX can take 2-3 months to start reporting to the CRAs.  

While some people always like to have their UTIL optimized as a "just in case" measure, it isn't necessary unless you're seeking credit (CC apps, loans, etc.).   One less than perfect report of UTIL is a problem you can fix in the next reporting period.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.