Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex won't backdate?

tag
manzanita
Contributor

Amex won't backdate?

Hi everyone - I did some work to clean up my report in the beginning of the year - with lots of help from this forum ..thanks so much! - and gardened for a few months. I received an offer for an Amex PRG card, so I took it since one of my goals, outside of healthy credit, is to start earning rewards points for travel.

Anyway, back when I was very young and dumb I signed up for an Amex Blue Student card. This was in 2001. Things were fine for a bit, but in 2003 it did not end well.  It was not a CO that I can remember. I am 99% sure it was a payment for less than full amount. In any case, it was taken care of.  Anyway, in 2005, I noticed that it appeared to be reporting with a balance, so I called AMEX to say I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The lady verified that there was some kind of error and the trade line itself disappeared soon after.

Ok thats the background. After looking around on this site, I thought I'd call and ask nicely about being backdated to 2001. They told me they had guidelines that prevented this from happening. It was a bt of a weird conversation, where the rep was being a little unclear and was saying that they used 2013 to give me a clean slate with them. Maybe he didnt want to embarass me about my past history wth them...though I'm not embarassed - it was so long ago it's almost as if it happened to a different person, and it was at least dealt with before CO.  When I asked if it would harm my current relationship with them to have the old date included, he said no. But then he said it couldnt be done anyway. 

Thats a bummer, because I've seen other cases on this site where people have been backdated after a CO and bankruptcy. I know that's anecdotal, and I don't want to be a jerk, but it would be nice to have that 2001 membership date. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this guy right? Should I be a good customer for awhile and then try again? 

Also, how do charge cards work in terms of credit reports? How are they viewed? I know I've read there's *some* prestige with Amex in that other lenders view it as a good thing on a report (if it's in good standing of course) but I'm a wondering how the almost debit card nature of the account will read on the report.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Amex PRG - NPSL // Amex Delta Gold- 2000 // Amex SPG - 5400 // Cap 1 Platinum - 1300 // Citi Dividend - 5000 // Discover It - 10,000 // Barclay Arrival - 4000 // WestElm - 7000 // J.Crew - 1100

Gardening as of 8/16/13
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex won't backdate?

@manzanita wrote:

Hi everyone - I did some work to clean up my report in the beginning of the year - with lots of help from this forum ..thanks so much! - and gardened for a few months. I received an offer for an Amex PRG card, so I took it since one of my goals, outside of healthy credit, is to start earning rewards points for travel.

Anyway, back when I was very young and dumb I signed up for an Amex Blue Student card. This was in 2001. Things were fine for a bit, but in 2003 it did not end well.  It was not a CO that I can remember. I am 99% sure it was a payment for less than full amount. In any case, it was taken care of.  Anyway, in 2005, I noticed that it appeared to be reporting with a balance, so I called AMEX to say I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The lady verified that there was some kind of error and the trade line itself disappeared soon after.

Ok thats the background. After looking around on this site, I thought I'd call and ask nicely about being backdated to 2001. They told me they had guidelines that prevented this from happening. It was a bt of a weird conversation, where the rep was being a little unclear and was saying that they used 2013 to give me a clean slate with them. Maybe he didnt want to embarass me about my past history wth them...though I'm not embarassed - it was so long ago it's almost as if it happened to a different person, and it was at least dealt with before CO.  When I asked if it would harm my current relationship with them to have the old date included, he said no. But then he said it couldnt be done anyway. 

You got a lazy CSR that didn't want to do the work (or didn't know what they're supposed to do, very common lately).  Wait a while and call so you get someone else. You might have to get to the Credit Analyst (dept) level.

Thats a bummer, because I've seen other cases on this site where people have been backdated after a CO and bankruptcy. I know that's anecdotal, and I don't want to be a jerk, but it would be nice to have that 2001 membership date. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this guy right? Should I be a good customer for awhile and then try again? 

You did not get "the right guy" you got a rookie or lazy rep.  If you can find an old CR or Card with the date, it'll be that much easier as well.

Also, how do charge cards work in terms of credit reports? How are they viewed? I know I've read there's *some* prestige with Amex in that other lenders view it as a good thing on a report (if it's in good standing of course) but I'm a wondering how the almost debit card nature of the account will read on the report.

It will report as a charge card and show the highest balance you allow to report as being the CL.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, do NOT use the word "Backdating" in any way!  You want "Your original Membership Since Date". 

The "Back Date" term confuses the newer reps and "red flags" the experienced reps.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 19
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I have also been told before that they will not give you the benefit of a membership since date when an account was not closed in good standing.  I don't know how to tell whether RyVision is correct that this is due to a misinformed CSR, or whether those who have gotten backdated when their accounts were charged off simply got lucky. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 19
Azumi1
Regular Contributor

I was recently approved for the amex bce card. They backdated it to 2001, and the only history I have with them is as a au on my brother's account. And I know his account was a CO unpaid.    

From 566 in 8/2012 to..

EQ 704 /TU 690 / EX 730

Discover IT 6000, Amex BCE 10000, FNBO Amex 3500, Cap 1 platinum 2000, Walmart Discover 5000, Orchard Bank platinum 3000, Best Buy 5000, Merrick Bank 1600, Target Visa 700
Message 4 of 19
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

I have also been told before that they will not give you the benefit of a membership since date when an account was not closed in good standing.  I don't know how to tell whether RyVision is correct that this is due to a misinformed CSR, or whether those who have gotten backdated when their accounts were charged off simply got lucky. 

They did so for me. I had an unpaid CO that was 20 years old when they offered me a new card and approved the app. My new account has been backdated to 1987, which is my original membership date. I would check with a different CSR.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 19
manzanita
Contributor

Thanks everyone -

Called again, and the CSR again was completely stumped by the idea that the "Membership Since" date could be changed to the original date of membership. She -like the orginal rep- kept saying "This is a new card, so the date on the card will be from 2013" and I kept explaining that actually, AMEX offers this benefit where they recognize the earlier date, etc...I asked nicely if perhaps I could speak with a higher level, and she fnally checked on it and said "Yes you're right, thanks for telling me about this."

Surprised this is so obscure? I mean, the rep I spoke with in the New Accounts dept knew all about it. Anyway, the CSR said she still couldnt help me because the account was derogatory when it closed. I would say fair enough...but as you have all stated, this is obviously not impossible.  I asked several times to be transferred to a higher level and she avoided doing so. I guess I could have angrily demanded to be transferred, but don't want to be a jerk and then ask for a favor.  Eventually I got tired of going over the same point, so I let her go. 

Sigh.  Is this worth calling the Executive Office about? That's the only non-collection back door number I can find.  Called new accounts hoping to get a credit analyst and they couldnt help me (though they verified that backdating was absolutely standard.)

Any other ideas?

Amex PRG - NPSL // Amex Delta Gold- 2000 // Amex SPG - 5400 // Cap 1 Platinum - 1300 // Citi Dividend - 5000 // Discover It - 10,000 // Barclay Arrival - 4000 // WestElm - 7000 // J.Crew - 1100

Gardening as of 8/16/13
Message 6 of 19
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Just to be clear: do NOT use the word "backdate" or "backdating" in these conversations. I'm pretty sure that using that word triggers a script for the CSRs that ends badly. What you want to say is this," I logged in to my card web site and it says thank you for being a member since 2013. I've been a member since 2001, so was hoping to get that fixed to show the correct year." Be polite, don't argue. Don't talk about how it shows up on your credit report or the card. Just focus on the web site being incorrect. When/if you get that changed, it is a simple call to a 2nd csr asking to have a new card sent to you with the correct member since date. Issuing the new card will trigger the reporting change. It took me 6 months to get mine backdated (to a green card that was closed by lender, but paid in full).

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 7 of 19
fairclok
Contributor

Caught this thread a the right time.

Amex backdated my New Amex Card to 1996 (previously was a member).    I opened the New Amex Card  in January of this year 2013 (1/13). 

My question is.   On my 3 CRs the card reports as opened in 1/13 and only shows on time payments from 1/13.               My card has Member Since 1996.      How do I get the benefit of backdating on my CR?     or is there no benefit to backdating an Amex on my credit report?  

Starting Score: Sept. 2012 EX FAKO 560; EQ FICO 590; TU FICO 576
2015 Score: Dec 2016 EX FICO 800; EQ FICO 790; TU FICO 810
Goal Score Met 2018: 825 or better on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 19
manzanita
Contributor

Thanks - this is helpful. I didn't use the b word with the CSR and was really careful not to argue....more like explaining (pretty close to how you suggested). They really seemed to not know. I'm going to let it be for now, be a good customer for a few months, then try again. 

Gardening as of 8/16/13
Message 9 of 19
manzanita
Contributor

Welp -

Because I'm impatient and have the time this afternoon, I tried one last attempt via their secure message system and took the chat option. I said exactly what had been suggested - I noticed the date was wrong, and I know how Amex likes to acknowledge the original membership date, and would she mind changing it? Not only was the rep NOT confused by the question, she didn't miss a beat looking up my old account and submitting a date change. According to her I will receive new cards with 2001 on them. 

So, barring anything else, that might be the end of this story.  So far, when it comes to CC customer service it seems chat is the way to go...it's that way for me with Cap 1, and so far with Amex. Thanks everyone for chiming in and encouraging persistence. 

Gardening as of 8/16/13
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.