Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex won't budge on APR reduction.

tag
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Amex won't budge on APR reduction.

Amex reduced my rate last year from 19.99 to 16.99 on my BCE. Since then everyone I call they say that 16.99 is the most competitive rate they have for that card. I tell them that the range that is publicized for new accounts starts at 12.99. Each time I say that they don't even understand what I am saying and they tell me my current I interest rate. It's very frustrating g as BOfA and Discover have been very good at reducing my rate multiple times. I honestly feel like the CSRs for BCE don't know what I'm talking about and it's very frustrating. Is there anything else I can do to get a lower APR?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex won't budge on APR reduction.

Have you tried chat ?  Whenever I need something from Amex I had the impression that the reps on chat are more knowledgeable than the call center agents.  I did my APR decrease via chat last year.

Message 2 of 6
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

Have you tried chat ?  Whenever I need something from Amex I had the impression that the reps on chat are more knowledgeable than the call center agents.  I did my APR decrease via chat last year.

Huge fan of chat too. 

Message 3 of 6
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:
Amex reduced my rate last year from 19.99 to 16.99 on my BCE. Since then everyone I call they say that 16.99 is the most competitive rate they have for that card. I tell them that the range that is publicized for new accounts starts at 12.99. Each time I say that they don't even understand what I am saying and they tell me my current I interest rate. It's very frustrating g as BOfA and Discover have been very good at reducing my rate multiple times. I honestly feel like the CSRs for BCE don't know what I'm talking about and it's very frustrating. Is there anything else I can do to get a lower APR?

I just switched from the old Blue Cash to the BCE and had their best rate of 17.24% APR.  Once I switched, I asked for a reduction and they glady reduced it to 14.24% over the phone.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love the chat. Few months ago got reduction from 17.24% APR on BSP to 14.24%.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@cottoncrown wrote:
Is there anything else I can do to get a lower APR?

It's possible that AmEx CSR's aren't understanding you but it's also possible that they're telling you that you don't qualify for better.  It's impossible to say based on hearsay.  You can try chat as suggested above but either your credit qualifies for a lower APR or it doesn't.  You can't assume that all creditors will give you the same APR.  Try again when it improves.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.