cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex zync??

tag
Yonks2remember

Amex zync??

What do you guys think about the card? Looking to apply for one. Also I only have one credit card(never late).
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Amex zync??

I think if you don't think you would be approved for other AMEX cards, Zync is a great card to get you in the door with AMEX. Otherwise, the rewards aren't that great.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Reward ---> Lame

Build history ---> Sure, why not?

Message 3 of 15
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Agreed the rewards structure is really screwy with all the packs, plus the points are Membership Rewards Express points which are not as good as what you get with the other charge cards.

AmEx Rewards Tiers

Have you considered the green or gold? People on here get surprised all the time by getting approved for them.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter has the Zync card. It is great for her. She is a 19 year old college student. The yearly fee is low which is a big plus for a college student. She did not add any special packs, so she pays the $25 annual fee (first year waived, of course). It is a good way to build a relationship with AMEX and have a basic charge card with a low annual fee.

She has 2 student CC and one store card. The AMEX card rounds her profile out nicely. She never carries a balance on any card. PIF every month.

The plan is to let the cards age now for at least 2 years. She has Cap1 and Citi. She will be able to grow with Citi. Hopefully in 2 years she can dump the Cap1 and get a Chase Freedom for the rewards. 

I would recommend the Zync card. She only had one card when she was approved for Zync. She had a 6 month credit history at the time of application. Her history is still "thin". 

Message 5 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My daughter has the Zync card. It is great for her. She is a 19 year old college student. The yearly fee is low which is a big plus for a college student. She did not add any special packs, so she pays the $25 annual fee (first year waived, of course). It is a good way to build a relationship with AMEX and have a basic charge card with a low annual fee.

She has 2 student CC and one store card. The AMEX card rounds her profile out nicely. She never carries a balance on any card. PIF every month.

The plan is to let the cards age now for at least 2 years. She has Cap1 and Citi. She will be able to grow with Citi. Hopefully in 2 years she can dump the Cap1 and get a Chase Freedom for the rewards. 

I would recommend the Zync card. She only had one card when she was approved for Zync. She had a 6 month credit history at the time of application. Her history is still "thin". 

Did she get a special offer? Cause when I apped mine it AMEX does not offer first year free.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually you are right!  Sorry fro the confusion. The $25.00 was not waived the first year on ZYNC. My mistake. The fee was waived on my Gold Card.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Reward ---> Lame

Build history ---> Sure, why not?

+1

Good Card to get in the door with AmEx.

Message 8 of 15
Scene
Regular Contributor

I was approved for the Zync when I only had 6 months of (my) credit history, so you should be easily approved regardless of your social class, income, ect ect. The rewards aren't the best, but honestly the rewards ON ANY card are neglible, so why even bother? Credit cards were meant to be used as a convience to the consumer, not another CD account/MMA/savings account.

Message 9 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

The rewards on Zync can be fairly good if you don't redeem them.  The gift card redemptions are not very good.  Save your points.  Down the road, if you like, you can upgrade or apply for Green/Gold/Plat and all of your points you earned with the Zync will convert to full MR points that can be transferred to frequent flier miles for better redemption opportunities. 

If you don't plan to redeem for travel, then I agree that Zync rewards aren't that great but it is a good card to use to build a relationship with Amex.

Also disagree that credit card rewards are negligible, especially for the amount of spend the above poster has reported.  Every dollar saved helps.  And savings accounts have atrocious rates right now anyway.  The return on CC rewards can be substantial so long as you are paying in full.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.