Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex

Ok I have been on a mission to get an Amex green card for the past 2 years. I was wondering if you all think I might be approved now for one. Over the past 2 years I have achieved being completely out of credit card debt but i bought a car( I had now choice. I bought the car last May(2010). I just now got put of credit card debt abou 3 weeks ago. I just got married and wife wife has some debt but an excellent credit score. We wanted to apply together and have it be our charge card and only card together. Does anyone have any disagreements with us possibly being approved.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex

What are your and your wife's credit scores? How many inquiries in the last year?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score last I saw was 625 and my wife's was 705 but both of those scores were about 1 year and 1/2 ago. she hasn't had any inqueries on her report but I have on mine. I got a secured credit card to help rebuild my credit about 3 months ago.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry my score was 8 months ago and my wife's was 1 year and 1/2.
Message 4 of 12
OnMyMiNd04
Valued Member

Have you tried looking to see if you are pre-approved for an AMEX card?

https://www304.americanexpress.com/secure/my-special-offers?btct=SJHP_tile_ultimate

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I haven't!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it will be difficult for you to get the AMEX green. You are currently in re-build mode and AMEX is a prime card.

Your wife may have a shot. If she gets approved, she then can add you as an authorized user.

Since her scores were pulled 1.5 years ago, I would personally get an updated report and score before applying. 

You can get free scores at creditkarma.com and creditsesame.com. They are not true FICO scores, but I have found that the scores they provide are pretty close to my own FICO scores (they are actually lower). But at least you get some idea.

I believe that AMEX will pull from Experian.

You can get a FREE credit report at annualcreditreport.com

Just check to see what her current score is. We will get a better idea.

Does she have any baddies at all on her report?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in a re- build mode and have been for the past 5 years. My wife has no baddies( Or any defaults- however you guys well it).
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can also check out whogavemecredit.com

It is a site that you can check to see who got approved for the card, including their credit scores, income and other comments. I see some on there approved with lower 600 scores. AMEX has their own internal scoring system. They look at many factors, not just FICO scores. I know I personally was not worthy of AMEX for a long time. 

Any luck with the pre-approval site? Their charge cards are easier to get than their credit cards. My 19 year old has a Zync card. Her score is around 712, but she has only a 7 month credit history. Had a 4 month history when she applied. Even though her file is thin, it is clean. 

It sounds like your wife can get approved. She has no defaults, decent score. I'm hoping someone else will chime in on your own personal score.

However, as indicated, if your wife gets approved, she can add you as AU so all would not  be lost.

Has either you or your wife ever carried AMEX in the past? It could help scores with backdating as well.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No.neither of us have ever carried Amex but my wife got some offers about 3 years ago when her debt was low but she hasn't gotten one since. She has high debt now but a good score. I have mediocre score and paid off debt... This frustrates me sometimes...
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.