Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex

tag
roshan21
Valued Member

Amex

I was thinking of getting a card with Amex. I wanted to know what is the best card if you're just starting a relationship with them?
What CR do they pull and what is the typical score they like to see? Don't want to waste a HP

Paypal Mastercard $2000, Walmart $1000, Victoria's Secret $500, Discover IT $1200, Chase Freedom $2000, Cap1 $500/$300/$200, First Premier $300 Barclay's Rewards $500- Last App 5/27/13

Garden until 8/2014 (Hoping to be mid 700's by then)

Starting Score: 677
Current Score: 696
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex

App for a charge card. If approved, app right away for a revolver. They will use the same hard pull for both apps. They pull experian.
Message 2 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Lambo23 wrote:
App for a charge card. If approved, app right away for a revolver. They will use the same hard pull for both apps. They pull experian.

+1 Lambo hit it right on the head

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 10
TM82
Regular Contributor

The 2 apps for 1 pull is not 100% guaranteed. Also if its your first account with them they may pull multiple reports. Apply for the card that you want don't just apply for cards for the sake of the belief that you will get two cards with 1 pull. If you get approved and later on you find that a credit card with them fits your needs better, then apply then. It'll get backdated anyway.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 4 of 10
eagles08
Regular Contributor

I just applied for the Blue Sky card. Instantly approved, they pulled Experian, I had a 707. My AAoA is low and my utilization isn't exactly in the recommended range so I was skeptical about applying but I went for it anyway with a good outcome!!
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 5 of 10
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
I just applied for the Blue Sky card. Instantly approved, they pulled Experian, I had a 707. My AAoA is low and my utilization isn't exactly in the recommended range so I was skeptical about applying but I went for it anyway with a good outcome!!

WAY TO GO!!!!

Congrats!!

*8/10/13
Message 6 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats! I looooove my BCE 😍... Don't forget the 61st day 3xcli!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@roshan21 wrote:
I was thinking of getting a card with Amex. I wanted to know what is the best card if you're just starting a relationship with them?
What CR do they pull and what is the typical score they like to see? Don't want to waste a HP

Definitely a Charge card. It depends on how much AF your willing to spend and your spending pattern. If you plan to spend big (say 30K in a year) the PRG would be a great look for you:

-Waived $175 AF for 1st year

-Bonus 15K MR points with 30K spend in a year

If your looking to spend less I'd go with the Green card with a $95 AF.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 10
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Have you tried going on their website to see if you are pre-approved for anyting?

I recently app'ed and got approved for Preferred Gold Card and Delta Skymiles Gold. Both on same day. One HP from EX. Both of these cards are what I wanted and both will fit my needs.

My EX score was 779 with 0 INQ, 0 Baddies, 7% UTL, two CC totalling $2700 CL, 3Y7Mo AAoA. Was approved for $9,500 CL on Delta.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.