Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex

tag
ronstar7
Established Contributor

Amex

Hello ladies and gents,

Is it true if you apply for AMEX and get denied it only results in a SP but if you are approved its a HP? If so, why is that? Also are the Green and Delta the 2 easist cards to get? I know they dont really have tiers (i think) but are they generally the "easier" cards or is there one or more of their cards that  they more likely approved with fair credit. (just a general consensus would be fine) Lastly in terms of backdating does it matter when one would apply?

Thanks!

Starting scores after BK (Filed 4/18/24) EQ 571 , TU , EX

Current Scores EQ 571 TU EX Goal 700+ across
UTL
Last Inq:
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex

@ronstar7 wrote:

Hello ladies and gents,

Is it true if you apply for AMEX and get denied it only results in a SP but if you are approved its a HP? If so, why is that? Also are the Green and Delta the 2 easist cards to get? I know they dont really have tiers (i think) but are they generally the "easier" cards or is there one or more of their cards that  they more likely approved with fair credit. (just a general consensus would be fine) Lastly in terms of backdating does it matter when one would apply?

Thanks!

Thats true only if you already have a card issued by American Express.

I don't advise applying for cards you don't want or need, just because someone thinks it is easier to obtain. American Express cards aren't all that hard to obtain, and if you don't qualify for one of them, I doubt having another American Express card is going to sway them. At least, they never gave ME the secret handshake when I obtained my American Express BCE, so I can't use the secret handshake to allow me to obtain any of their cards that I want...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, on HP/SP.   Edit.  As TMWC says, only if you already have a card.  Otherwise HP for both success and failure

All the normal charge cards are the same difficulty, so green/gold/plat have same standards, just depends on what AF you are willing to pay. 

Don't know about the credit card ranking.

For the first card timing doesn't really matter, get the year set as early as possible (so if it was Dec apply now rather than waiting for Jan) but any time this year will be the same impact on subsequent cards.     For future cards, they take the month of the application and the year of the first card, which is why people tend to apply in Jan, so the card gets 1/XX as the date.

Message 3 of 10
Longroad
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, on HP/SP.   Edit.  As TMWC says, only if you already have a card.  Otherwise HP for both success and failure

All the normal charge cards are the same difficulty, so green/gold/plat have same standards, just depends on what AF you are willing to pay. 

For the first card timing doesn't really matter, get the year set as early as possible (so if it was Dec apply now rather than waiting for Jan) but any time this year will be the same impact on subsequent cards.     For future cards, they take the month of the application and the year of the first card, which is why people tend to apply in Jan, so the card gets 1/XX as the date.

So all of the charge cards have the same underwriting, green/gold/platinum?

Would you apply for a charge card before a revolver? Saving a HP in the case of a denial by apping for a revolver first?

I am trying to plan my app strategy for AMEX. I would really like to have the Platinum and the SPG. Yes I know the AF is high, but I would use those benefits on the platinum. Those would fit what I need very well.

Message 4 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

So all of the charge cards have the same underwriting, green/gold/platinum?

Would you apply for a charge card before a revolver? Saving a HP in the case of a denial by apping for a revolver first?

I am trying to plan my app strategy for AMEX. I would really like to have the Platinum and the SPG. Yes I know the AF is high, but I would use those benefits on the platinum. Those would fit what I need very well.

I got a revolver BCE first, anyway looking at the cards you already have looks like you be a shoe in for AMEX

Message 5 of 10
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Applying for the Platinum first would work BUT I would recommend the Mercedes Benz version. It has all of the same perks as the regular Platinum BUT for $25 more in AF you get double the MR points. 

Message 6 of 10
Longroad
Established Contributor

@Omnipotent wrote:

Applying for the Platinum first would work BUT I would recommend the Mercedes Benz version. It has all of the same perks as the regular Platinum BUT for $25 more in AF you get double the MR points. 

Thanks for the input. 50K in MR points is a lot for $25. I didn't even know that existed. 

Message 7 of 10
ronstar7
Established Contributor

Oh ok I didnt know that in regards to the pulls, now it makes more sense. So I would assume that by your reply the revolvoers are easier to get sort of speak? I absolutley want Amex just have to clean up a fdew things first and wanted to know for future ref.

Starting scores after BK (Filed 4/18/24) EQ 571 , TU , EX

Current Scores EQ 571 TU EX Goal 700+ across
UTL
Last Inq:
Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ronstar7 wrote:

Oh ok I didnt know that in regards to the pulls, now it makes more sense. So I would assume that by your reply the revolvoers are easier to get sort of speak? I absolutley want Amex just have to clean up a fdew things first and wanted to know for future ref.

No!   Charge cards are easier.    THe point is that some people really want only the revolvers, but get the charge card first (because it is easier) and then app for the revolver (getting only a SP if it is rejected).    There are lots of people who disagree with this, app for the cards you really want, rather than get an unnecessary charge card.

Message 9 of 10
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@ronstar7 wrote:

Hello ladies and gents,

Thanks!

Thats true only if you already have a card issued by American Express.

I don't advise applying for cards you don't want or need, just because someone thinks it is easier to obtain. American Express cards aren't all that hard to obtain, and if you don't qualify for one of them, I doubt having another American Express card is going to sway them. At least, they never gave ME the secret handshake when I obtained my American Express BCE, so I can't use the secret handshake to allow me to obtain any of their cards that I want...

+1

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.