Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex

How would you compare American Express itself to the affliates  "BOA" amex or HSBC amex , etc.?
Message Edited by camilleandbella on 11-15-2008 10:01 AM
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex

Is the question, "How would you compare an AmEx card issued from American Express to AmEx cards issued by banks like BOA or HSBC?"  Well to start with, you can only use both of them in places where AmEx is accepted and both of them most likely will have rewards/miles/points.  The rewards program will depend on where it is from but I think they are generally comparable.  I'm assuming the customer service may be a little different depending on which brand you use.  Customer service for HSBC is terrible (in my opinion) but I've never had an issue with American Express (don't have BOA to compare to).  American Express offers very good travel benefits and extends warranties which I don't think occurs with the AmEx cards from other lenders.  AmEx also has the Gold Card events where they reserve tickets for AmEx customers which is a nice feature as well.  It really depends on which American Express AmEx and which other AmEx you are comparing.  I think that BOA and Citi have some fairly exclusive AmEx products that are probably superior in benefits to an entry level card with American Express.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

??
Message 2 of 10
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Is the question, "How would you compare an AmEx card issued from American Express to AmEx cards issued by banks like BOA or HSBC?"  Well to start with, you can only use both of them in places where AmEx is accepted and both of them most likely will have rewards/miles/points.  The rewards program will depend on where it is from but I think they are generally comparable.  I'm assuming the customer service may be a little different depending on which brand you use.  Customer service for HSBC is terrible (in my opinion) but I've never had an issue with American Express (don't have BOA to compare to).  American Express offers very good travel benefits and extends warranties which I don't think occurs with the AmEx cards from other lenders.  AmEx also has the Gold Card events where they reserve tickets for AmEx customers which is a nice feature as well.  It really depends on which American Express AmEx and which other AmEx you are comparing.  I think that BOA and Citi have some fairly exclusive AmEx products that are probably superior in benefits to an entry level card with American Express.

Current:

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to add that they cobranded Amex cards do offer the extended warranty. I believe it is double the manufacturers warranty up to 1 year.  That's the only reason I wanted the card, but didn't want to deal with Amex themselves they way they are behaving lately, so I went with BofA.
Message 5 of 10
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Your Welcome. =)

Current:

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

UpUpUp wrote:
Just wanted to add that they cobranded Amex cards do offer the extended warranty. I believe it is double the manufacturers warranty up to 1 year.  That's the only reason I wanted the card, but didn't want to deal with Amex themselves they way they are behaving lately, so I went with BofA.

Agreed!  The extended warranty and purchase protections come from the fact that the card uses the Amex network, not the bank that issues it.  Any Amex-network card offers these features.

Message 7 of 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

The key difference will be customer service (including CLI) and the fact that you have amex instead of HSBC if someone has to review your report manually sometime.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way to necrobump.
Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Way to necrobump.

lol, I'd never heard that term before.

I'm guessing that our new member is a victim of the rather odd search feature here, that likes to turn up ancient threads. Smiley Wink You have to click the option to display by date to avoid this.

I'm stuck on stupid, or holding my mouth wrong, or both, or something completely different, but I never have gotten the hang of the latest version of the search function!

Anyway, for any newer members reading this (or older members, too, because it happens all the time), check out the date on a post before you decide to reply. Nothing wrong with digging one up out of the basement, but often the issues involved have changed, laws have been rewritten, and OP's (original posters) have been gone for years on these things. Smiley Wink You might start working on out-of-date info, or keep waiting for a reply from someone who has since moved on.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.