Did you mean: 

Amex

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
yes pif credit cards every month . It actually said they have no offers for me but reccomended 3 different cards

Dont base your decision off of that. You should be good to go. with your scores and util. with is 0. unless you have some negatives we don't know about. Amex is not the amex of old. with rigorous strict approvals. Chase and Citi much harder to get in with. Good luck. keep us posted when you are approved. Smiley Wink

+1

Especially if you have low utilization, consistent on-time payments, clean credit for the past two years and no Amex default you should be fine.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two 30 day late payments in 2011 and one store card charge off same year . Nothing since then
Message 12 of 34
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had two 30 day late payments in 2011 and one store card charge off same year . Nothing since then

The lates being that old will have no affect. The charge off. may be an issue. but unlikely with your current scores as you have recovered.

A Couple of my friends actually have 4 year old Bk's and they were approved. Do you have any idea which card you would like with amex?. some are a little harder than others. But for best results after hearing wht you said. I would Recommend. Any Charge card. But not first. UW is the same. And you would need to Justify the AF. but for revolver. The consensus on the easiest would be The Amex ED. and The DeLta Gold. just to get your foot in the door. Good luck on what you choose.

Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
yes pif credit cards every month . It actually said they have no offers for me but reccomended 3 different cards

You should absolutely PIF every month but the key is to get regular use out of your card. That way by the time your previous statement payment processes, you already have new charges on the card so it never dips below $0. So for example, your statement drops on 8/10 with $500 balance, due on 9/1, you charge $200 between 8/11 and 8/31, so when you make your 9/1 payment your balance is $200.

My FI did exactly the same thing (paid down to zero) and although they say it's bad to apply with 0% utilization, she was approved with AmEx. She was also prequal though, so YMMV. Amex uses different risk algorithms from many other banks, so they may be more lenient on stuff like 0% utilization, and in general they are kind to thin files if you're going for one of their entry level products.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I use a bunch just try to pay no interest
Message 15 of 34
AAstra
Regular Contributor

Paying no interest is how I've always handled my lines, however, you can let a balance post to the statement and not pay interest. Just pay off the balance by the due date...this is likely all things you already know. Based on your posts, you should be good to apply for the BCP....just consider if you will spend enough to make the AF worth it. I just went with the BCE after pondering that one. Let us know how the app turns out.

Cheers!

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I spend a lot on groceries . I also want to do a venture for traveling . Those will be my two go to cards .
Message 17 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@dbutz1109 wrote:

Paying no interest is how I've always handled my lines, however, you can let a balance post to the statement and not pay interest. Just pay off the balance by the due date...this is likely all things you already know. Based on your posts, you should be good to apply for the BCP....just consider if you will spend enough to make the AF worth it. I just went with the BCE after pondering that one. Let us know how the app turns out.

Cheers!

I got my Green and BCP with an EX of 695 (as reported by Amex), back-to-back, one HP (app'd for Green first).  I had no offers on the prequal page.

Two COs on report, both six years old.  Previous Amex account IIBK7 15 years ago.  Still approved (4/2015).

Go for it, I think you're golden.  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

10 k..... Holy crud Smiley Happy highest card before this was 3500
Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
10 k..... Holy crud Smiley Happy highest card before this was 3500

congrats!

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.